Birds Show Birds

Seen on the Sudbury River

_H6B9546-Editcam.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I caught the most amazing in the air. I was watching an aerial interaction with a Red tailed hawk and an rwbw ( red winged blacked black bird) I thought it was a goner in the talons, But to my surprise it was a sneak attack and it came out unharmed

I caught the most amazing in the air. I was watching an aerial interaction with a Red tailed hawk and an rwbw ( red winged blacked black bird) I thought it was a goner in the talons, But to my surprise it was a sneak attack and it came out unharmed
Large birds are continually harassed by smaller birds if they cross through the smaller bird’s nesting territory. The smaller birds’ approach is always from above and from the rear - the larger bird’s blind spot. Not only are the smaller birds far more agile (think fighter vs. bomber), but the larger bird has more to lose from a real attack rather than the relatively polite bumping they are subjected to. I’ve never seen the larger bird do anything other than try to leave the attacker’s territory as soon as possible.

Note the redwing’s shadow on the redtail’s tail feathers.
_HFB7988m43.jpg

Large birds are continually harassed by smaller birds if they cross through the smaller bird’s nesting territory. The smaller birds’ approach is always from above and from the rear - the larger bird’s blind spot. Not only are the smaller birds far more agile (think fighter vs. bomber), but the larger bird has more to lose from a real attack rather than the relatively polite bumping they are subjected to. I’ve never seen the larger bird do anything other than try to leave the attacker’s territory as soon as possible.

Note the redwing’s shadow on the redtail’s tail feathers.
View attachment 326656
guess what, it's the same bird combo as yours, rth and rwbb go figure

Good Afternoon,

I received my new MC-20 2X T.C. today; first bird shots as trials and I am pleased with with results so far, all hand-held with EFL of 1200mm. Dismal light so DxO PureRAW2 to the rescue. I think that this will be used for small subjects (hummingbirds, finches, etc.) at less than ~15 meters rather than over a long distance due to atmospherics. My limit so far with the 300mm is the MC-14 for birds in flight, but I am going to try "Carbonman's" dot-sight setup to see if the limits can be pushed a bit.

Regards,

Edd

P8011555_DxO.jpg
P8011548_DxO.jpg
P8011619_DxO.jpg

Good Afternoon,

The resident Eagle made a few fly-bys while I was doing my speed circuit in the kayak early this morning. We both did a "take five" literally a few hundred feet from each other at one point; that made my day...:).

Regards,

Edd

IMG_3669_DxO.jpg
IMG_3633_DxO-Flip.jpg
IMG_3711_DxO.jpg
IMG_3717_DxO.jpg

Back