Birds Show Birds

OVI07236-Edit.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"The lonely road I have taken."

OVI07252-Edit.JPG

"But I have found a friend."

OVI07261-Edit.JPG

"And I am free."

Hope the video will display with the link. A series of Osprey dives adding about 50 images into a video. It was a bit further away but I am amazed at OM-1 Bird AI tracking ability.

Osprey Dive Perry Lake 09182022 by Narin, on Flickr
Since I don't think everyone has Flickr so I will just upload a few images of that video sequence. Basically, 52 images were captured with one a bit OOF and one just soft.

The very first as the bird stopped mid air.
52375598002_c0a3b1efcf_o.jpg
OM107272_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

52376778118_36bcd9c048_o.jpg
OM107316_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

Just before hitting the water.
52375606632_3a68916bf5_o.jpg
OM107328_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

....oh man! What a cliffhanger! When comes next episode? What did he catch? :)

Anyway, fantastic capture, these birds are magnific!
Thanks. Unfortunately, it missed. So I didn't keep those images since the bird was a bit far. I had to crop these image to about 3000-3600 in width. This is where I think FF has big advantage in cropping when bird is further than 80 meters or so. This is also where that 150-400mm BWL for MFT comes in super handy. I could have use 1000mm FOV through its 1.25 internal converter. Unfortunately, my back issue prevent me from wanting to spend that kind of money on the lens.
I plan to visit this place again next weekend and plan to try MC20. Hope some of the ospreys still stick around.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to start paying attention to white birds, apparently. When I first saw these two I wrote them off as being Swans, which are extremely plentiful where I spotted these guys. Then I noticed they didn't seem to be flying like swans fly and were smaller. Ok, they must be seagulls, white with some black feathers mixed in...but wait! Those aren't seagulls. They don't fly like seagulls, they're flying like geese...but they are white. The geese around here aren't white. So I grabbed a couple of shots to see what they were. One thing they were was a looooong way off, so this is a pretty fair crop and the only 'salvageable' shot I was able to get before they disappeared behind a tree line.

As it turns out, they are Snow Geese. I think I remember seeing snow geese about 20 years ago. If I crossed their path since then it certainly isn't in my retrievable memory banks. I suppose I should have spotted them each year, because we are in their migratory path. If I did see them, I probably wrote them off as swans or seagulls and didn't give them a second look, like I almost did today.
snow geese fini.JPG

I'm going to have to start paying attention to white birds, apparently. When I first saw these two I wrote them off as being Swans, which are extremely plentiful where I spotted these guys. Then I noticed they didn't seem to be flying like swans fly and were smaller. Ok, they must be seagulls, white with some black feathers mixed in...but wait! Those aren't seagulls. They don't fly like seagulls, they're flying like geese...but they are white. The geese around here aren't white. So I grabbed a couple of shots to see what they were. One thing they were was a looooong way off, so this is a pretty fair crop and the only 'salvageable' shot I was able to get before they disappeared behind a tree line.

As it turns out, they are Snow Geese. I think I remember seeing snow geese about 20 years ago. If I crossed their path since then it certainly isn't in my retrievable memory banks. I suppose I should have spotted them each year, because we are in their migratory path. If I did see them, I probably wrote them off as swans or seagulls and didn't give them a second look, like I almost did today.
View attachment 337898
Will, lots of things changed after the huge Solar Maximum in 2002/2003.

Those things, climate included, are only now starting to return to "normal", whatever "normal" is ...

Back