Birds Show Birds

From the Gh6 at the local pond.....
corm1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Corm2.jpg
Corm3.jpg
Merganzier.jpg

Hi Dan, how many hummer's did you catch in Costa Rica, and roughly how many images did you take in total? How long were you there? Happy New Year
Lucien, I got decent photos of 5 species of hummingbirds. I saw 2 or 3 more species that I didn't get good pictures of. I brought home around 1000 photos and was there for 9 full days. Happy New Year to you as well.

Nothing much exhilarating or intriguing, only common "garden" birds. The weather has made it difficult to plan any outgoings beyond the local dogb walking paths:

OVI02235-Edit.JPG

Looking for a landing spot in one of the many puddles grown into pools of rain water in the farm fields from the excessive raining.

OVI02250-Edit.JPG

Some of the gulls didn't want to just float around like miniature boats, they were splashing or jumping in the water.

OVI02218.JPG

The gulls did take off when I got to close, 500mm is not enough most of the time.

OVI02274-Edit.JPG

Fliying in groups can confuse the AF if it's set to Wide, but I had it set to Expanded Small Spot and it stick to the original lock quite well through the burst and panning.

OVI02270-Edit.JPG

The one thing I will never run out of, all-year-round, is gulls.

OVI02262-Edit.JPG

And, of course, one of them had to go: LOOK AT ME ... LOOK AT ME ... I'M THE KARDASHIAN !!!

OVI02224.JPG

But I did have a Pheasant female sneak up on me like Arnie on a Predator and as soon as I saw it it screamed: GET TO THE CHOPPA ... And that was the last I heard of it.

OVI02363-Edit.JPG

I did scare of a hole bunch of Goldfinches when I was heading back home, like tiny bullets in the sky it was hard to keep up with them.

OVI02371-Edit.JPG

As soon as I saw them doing Delta Formation I grabbed my dog and ran for the hills, I'm not getting bombed today.

Much to my surprise some of the American Robins came back. They left during our Christmas cold snap. Typically once they pass through on their southern migration we don’t see them again until they pass through on the way north. This year they left early but then returned. Typically they travel at the same time as the Cedar Waxings, the Waxings didn’t leave during the cold snap so maybe when the Robins realized they were traveling alone and turned back.
20230106_090815_P1042978c_topaz-enhance.jpg
20230106_091839_P1043024c_topaz-enhance-sharpen.jpg
20230106_090905_P1042993c_topaz-enhance-sharpen.jpg
20230106_091842_P1043026c_topaz-enhance-sharpen.jpg
20230106_092236_P1043044.JPG

Last edited:
Pixel 7 in the feeder, remote release.
View attachment 356501
I did something similar a while back with my iPhone and Apple Watch. The watch connects and acts like a viewfinder. I used it to catch robins feeding. Less patience needed since the babies are eating machines:
IMG_1855.jpeg

Back