Birds Show Birds

O2266207TIL-sC.jpg

duck female snow fini.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A herd of ducks have decided to camp in the snow in my backyard the last few days. Might as well take advantage of it since I pretty much don't have to leave the couch to get these shots.

I never realized they had so many teeth. I knew the Merganzers did, I just didn't think the mallards did. I suppose I won't be petting many wild ducks going forward.

View attachment 369473

A herd of ducks have decided to camp in the snow in my backyard the last few days. Might as well take advantage of it since I pretty much don't have to leave the couch to get these shots.

I never realized they had so many teeth. I knew the Merganzers did, I just didn't think the mallards did. I suppose I won't be petting many wild ducks going forward.
They can bite quite savagely, Will. Even 'table ducks'.

I have an interesting story to tell about the following images. A female Pine Grosbeak struck one of our windows over a week ago so we rescued her and brought her in the house for rest and recovery until the weather turned warmer and we thought she could handle flight again. We had no idea if that would ever happen, but prayer helps, that and a lot of sunflower seed. Today was 'flight day'. We took her covered box outside and I had my Oly m1-3 with the 12-100 on board, and used Pro-capture low. I let missus John do all the hard work. I started shooting as she began lifting the plastic glazing up until her bird could crawl underneath, and then away she went to land in a nearby tall poplar tree. She groomed her feathers for quite awhile as her friends gathered around; she probably explained the ordeal, then flew away. I was able to capture some longer shots after I went inside to change to the Oly 100-400 for a few longer shots in the tree. We felt pretty good about her apparent recovery.

DJMA1752.JPG

DJMA1755.JPG

Freedom!
DJMA1756.JPG

DJMA1757.JPG

I love the shadows.

DJMA1758.JPG

WE GONE.
DJMA1759.JPG

Free at last!! The world looks a lot better from here than it did from that Damn box!

DJMA1779.JPG

I have an interesting story to tell about the following images. A female Pine Grosbeak struck one of our windows over a week ago so we rescued her and brought her in the house for rest and recovery until the weather turned warmer and we thought she could handle flight again. We had no idea if that would ever happen, but prayer helps, that and a lot of sunflower seed. Today was 'flight day'. We took her covered box outside and I had my Oly m1-3 with the 12-100 on board, and used Pro-capture low. I let missus John do all the hard work. I started shooting as she began lifting the plastic glazing up until her bird could crawl underneath, and then away she went to land in a nearby tall poplar tree. She groomed her feathers for quite awhile as her friends gathered around; she probably explained the ordeal, then flew away. I was able to capture some longer shots after I went inside to change to the Oly 100-400 for a few longer shots in the tree. We felt pretty good about her apparent recovery.

View attachment 369507

View attachment 369511

Freedom!
View attachment 369512

View attachment 369513
I love the shadows.

View attachment 369514

WE GONE.
View attachment 369515

Free at last!! The world looks a lot better from here than it did from that Damn box!

View attachment 369516
Great job all around! The world needs more stories like this.

View attachment 369507

View attachment 369511

Freedom!
View attachment 369512

View attachment 369513
I love the shadows.

View attachment 369514

WE GONE.
View attachment 369515

View attachment 369516
Great job, good for you!

Ok folks, internet is shut down for the rest of the day. No one can beat this.

Great job, good for you!

Ok folks, internet is shut down for the rest of the day. No one can beat this.
Thanks Brownie, I had fun doing this little photo essay. It's the first time I've ever really used Pro-Cap and see now that I should have Pro-Cap High instead, but you don't get a 'do-over' on a shoot like this. It's fun to scroll rapidly through when reviewing on the camera screen; it's like looking at stop-action photos, neat. And the best part is that I think we saved our little girl from a nasty fate as the temp dropped below zero the night she crashed. All's well that ends well. Cheers, John

We went to Red Bug Slough yesterday but there was not a lot of activity but still an enjoyable walk.
BA58DD1E-12A8-4EA1-9DBB-2BF7816E89DA.jpeg

A baby blue heron
3F44F08E-8F3F-48F3-ADB9-B271067C195B.jpeg
7FE2A645-5F81-4A57-9E8B-3D74CCF6369A.jpeg
AE11A6EC-099D-40A0-B192-D91B2B530BD1.jpeg

Hanging out in the neighborhood
B7AE50DF-46C7-4520-8B02-2CDA8647E57F.jpeg
F3E27360-9F08-48DD-98CF-9AD8460C3D47.jpeg

Catching some rays
FB6DC45D-71CC-454B-9771-6A6AEB095693.jpeg

On patrol
BCD9FC76-B5FC-4C6B-8602-3BDA8C7A6173.jpeg

A young egret

Back