Birds Show Birds

O2266893DSL-sC.jpg

I thought they were Downy woodpeckers. The Hairy woodpecker I originally thought was a Downy was much bigger than these two. Now I'm confused. It doesn't take much.
Could be I'm wrong, it's tough to tell the size in the photo. It looks like the beak is a longer than a Downy. Also, Downy's usually have black bars or spots on the outer tail feathers while Hairy are plain. Hopefully an expert will chime in.

I don't even know where to begin with to try and find them, I work on every Sunday so I don't think I will catch any more empty ASDA parking lots to get this little birds curious enough to come back there.
I quite often see pied wagtails in the fields round my house - and I'm roughly equidistant from each coast 😄
2022-07-05-14-59-01_G9_PANA4570_DXO (forum).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Think you can find them all over, but this site (Pied Wagtail) says they prefer "open land with short or very limited vegetation." So car parks such as when you saw yours, fields when the grass is short or they've been mown, lawns, parks etc.

CHEATING, yes a cheat work this one.

Full disclosure: Only one Kingfisher in this one, exactly the same one coming in and flying off. Copy and pasted the taking off into the first shot of it. Then added a flood effect to the bottom to cover up the nasty looking sand. So it's a big cheat.

DSC01735.jpg

All the best folks and not something I normally do.

Danny.

This Hawk appears to be resting his starboard drumstick on the branch. He sat this way for several minutes, turning his head back and forth, as if he were watching the US Open in Forest Hills. He is not holding anything in his talons, he just appears to be resting or favoring that leg. I've not seen this behavior before. A moment later he retracted that leg and it disappeared into his belly feathers, as is normally the case when they rest.
hawk secor rd drumstick fini.JPG

Shortly thereafter the hawk lowered the gear and launched with both feet as if nothing was amiss, so apparently whatever it was is not a no-go item.
hawk launch secor rd.JPG

Back