Birds Show Birds

It shouldn't be too long before the Swan population on the lake increase by at least nine. That's how many eggs this mother swan is looking over.
<snip>
In this shot she is moving the eggs around. I'm not sure why. It could simply be to get more comfortable, but it could also be a way for them to get more evenly warmed as she sits on them.

Egg turning is vital for bird embryos. (Clickety-click)

"Turns out, the behavior is a critical part of incubation, and each species may have its own egg-turning recipe to hatch a healthy chick, a new study shows.

Scientists believe that most birds rotate their eggs to ensure that the embryo gets enough albumen—the mixture of water and protein that makes up the "egg white" part of an embryo and provides nutrients to the developing chick."

DSC03155.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

northern flicker flying (2).JPG

northern flicker 43rds (2).JPG

Northern Flicker (s). maybe the same bird, maybe not. I think there were at least 6 of them flying from tree to tree. Couldn't sit still for more than 1.357 seconds. There may have only been two of them. It was kind of hard to keep up. I've seen these birds peacefully enjoying the day. This was not one of those days.

I need an ID for this duck here in Northern Michigan today. It's not like any others on the lake that I can tell. After looking online I think it may be a Gadwall, but I'm not sure...
Duck id (2).JPG

duck id 2.JPG

This shot of it's back gives a better idea of it's feather pattern. The tan/brown in the wings seen here, coupled with the overall pattern and black bill, make me lean toward Gadwall, but I can't find my official duck decoder ring. Anybody know for sure?

I need an ID for this duck here in Northern Michigan today. It's not like any others on the lake that I can tell. After looking online I think it may be a Gadwall, but I'm not sure...
View attachment 383365

View attachment 383366
This shot of it's back gives a better idea of it's feather pattern. The tan/brown in the wings seen here, coupled with the overall pattern and black bill, make me lean toward Gadwall, but I can't find my official duck decoder ring. Anybody know for sure?
Gadwall, I’d love to see one (I’m “restarting” my list as an adult based on absolute sightings, not just what I’m “sure” I’ve seen as life went by in an outdoorsy family). Very pretty, I love seeing what you bring here!

Back