Birds Show Birds

northern shoveller booardman.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This lone Northern Shoveller gave me one oppotunity yesterday and then he was off like a prom dress. Today, he was nowhere to be found. I hope he comes back, they have a great bill profile when viewed from the bow.

In Michigan we are surrounded by the Great Lakes. These lakes hold one fifth of the entire world's fresh water. In addition, we have thousands of inland lakes, rivers and streams. The same can be said of our bordering states and Canada. Given the incredible amount of options available for paddling, sleeping, drinking if you were a duck, why do you suppose this duck decided to call the bird bath in the back yard, HOME ?...

View attachment 384015

View attachment 384016
Just love it, Will!

Thank you!

I managed to get a pair this morning on my way home from work. There are about a dozen or so hanging out in the area. They aren't as brave as mallards, they are a little skittish. This is a male and female Gadwall, in this shot the female is flapping her wings...

View attachment 384008
Will, there are brave ducks and skittish ducks.
There are brave dead ducks ...
Better by far to be a live skittish duck ...

Same rules apply to all prey species.

Lovely shot, BTW.

merganzer and swallow (2)-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

A Merganzer exchanges unpleasantries with a Swallow after encroaching on the Swallow's territory. About a half dozen Swallows dive bombed the Merganzer upon landing on this post. I think there is a hole in the other side and possibly a Swallow's nest inside.

merganzer and swallows (2).JPG

Last edited:
Feeding Peaky "manna from heaven" as my daughter calls it - throwing chicken mix down from the balcony for his supper
We're not sure where he's come from, but he's been hanging out in our garden for about ten days now and is quite tame
The people up the road where he previously was sighted used to call him Macho (we don't like that) and apparently he's gone AWOL from there but they don't seem to fussed

Web 1500_FUJX3542 Feeding Peaky manna from heaven-DNZ.jpg

eagle in tree fini (2).jpg

The last shot I got in April this year. I stopped in the middle of a country road yesterday and shot this from the driver's side window. He probably would have stayed on the branch longer to get a better shot, but he was apparently put off by an eco terrorist in a tesla behind me that wouldn't stop beeping his horn. Must have been in a hurry to save the planet.

pileated may snow.JPG

My Pileated pal stopped by the backyard about a half hour ago. I was surprised to see him given the driving May 1st snow in 35 mph winds. It could be worse. Not far from here they already have 12-14 inches on the ground and the forecast is for it to continue snowing through the night. I get off easy. I will only have to drive through 4-5 inches tomorrow morning at 4am. I feel sorry for the critters that have to endure this weather, especially those that are sitting on eggs. It should moderate by the weekend with temps forecast to be in the upper 60s to low 70s. Hopefully the future hatchlings can hold out till then.

Pied Currawong taking flight

I was wandering through the Brisbane Botanic Gardens at the foot of Mount Coot-tha with my camera club, when I saw this pied currawong on a branch looking at me quizzically. I have a custom mode set on my OM-1 for birds in flight. So I quickly switched to it and waited. I didn't have long to wait........

52862219142_83ccc8bfd6_o.jpg

I'm outta here...... by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr​

Back