Birds Show Birds

It’s red-winged blackbird season up here…
191FD65F-0BE2-41FF-9C8B-0066D4DA45D6.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E39405D7-3A75-447A-8053-A723117BC476.jpeg

47D8096B-B4A5-4085-B2FF-C9E5B8722CB1.jpeg

Well because the weather here has been a shocker (being polite) a couple of older shots.

White faced Heron coming down a river.

P6301520.jpg

P6301521.jpg

P6301522.jpg

The old Canon FD 500 F/4.5L once again on the Sony NEX-7.

All the best you lot, have fun out there.

Danny.

A note of explanation:

He appeared in our garden the day we lost our Ziggy and interestingly he loves to roost just near Ziggy's favourite daytime sunny snooze spot.
We understand the person who used to feed him is now overseas and he's left to roam and found favour in our jungle garden with cat and guinea fowl food readily available :) Most elegant and stately creature who adds a touch of class to our messy property :)

Last edited:
Yesterday I noticed a dark colored bird fly in to a hole in a birch tree. I picked a spot about 50 feet away and staked it out. Unfortunately I didn't see the bird come out, but I did see this bumblebee approach and back off 3 different times. It apparently sensed danger...
bee in bird hole.JPG

Today I took a drive by that birch and sat in the same spot, camera focused on the hole, eye glued to the viewfinder in hopes of activity. It was probably a good idea the bee decided against dropping in yesterday. However, despite my 'prep' I missed two arrivals and one departure when I pulled my eye away from the viewfinder for a second each time. Finally, after about 30 minutes of eye strain I nabbed a Starling as she exited in search of what I'm assuming are groceries for her young ones inside...

starling birch.JPG

Here she continues to emerge on her trip to the bug store.
starling birch 2.JPG

and finally, this was the last image I caught before she was gone.
starling birch 3.JPG

I'm going to continue to stake out this tree in the coming days in hopes of seeing some bald headed funny looking dinosaurs peeking out the window.

Four backyard regulars that came through in the last hour...
blue jay off deck (2).JPG

Blue Jay

goldfinch off deck (2).JPG

Goldfinch

Hairy woodpecker off the deck (2).JPG

Hairy Woodpecker

red wing blackbird profile (2).JPG

Red Winged Blackbird

I am awaiting the arrival of a nesting pair of Dodo's from the Galapagos.

swan mom and babies.JPG

This one is from a couple of years ago this month. I've been watching a Swan's nest not far from where I shot this for the past couple of weeks and hope to see cygnets like these soon. This picture I like to call "The Lecture". Mom appears to be scolding the young one in front of her while the other two look on.

I spotted a pair of Sandhill Cranes this morning, not far off the side of the road just after sunrise. Looked like good light so I pulled over to get a couple of shots. After a few I noticed there were three Sandhills in the field and one of them was about 6 inches tall! What a surprise. Here's a pair of Sandhills with their 'colt'. First time I've seen one in the meat world.
sandhill and colt.JPG

sandhill and colt 2.JPG

sandhill and colt 3.JPG

Last edited:
Back