Birds Show Birds

and then there were two.... Only two baby swans remain alive as of this morning. Hopefully each will have more attention paid to their defense by the parents. I'm almost reluctant to check on them tomorrow. I used to think humans were their biggest threat. It's clearly apparent that's not the case.
View attachment 387199
In our neck of the woods, snapping turtles are the biggest threat to young swans.

First time I've ever seen a stonechat - I was on the Eastern Moors in the Peak District looking for deer (seeing as the evening light was so nice), happened to see this fella on some gorse
2023-05-13-19-33-28_G9_PANA9061_dxo (forum).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The UK based landscape photographer Nigel Danson has just released this YouTube video. As a non-bird photographer I found it really interesting (it may be a bit basic for some of you) but the Pro's piccies were superb.

Pro BIRD PHOTOGRAPHER SHARES HER SECRET TIPS with me

Edited to add: the portfolio pics on her website (linked in the video description) are just brilliant. Best I've seen.

And then there was one...
Swan cygnet one remains.JPG

swan cygnet one left.JPG

The mortality rate for these young swans is stunning. Checking on them this morning my heart sunk when I saw only one remaining cygnet swimming with the pair of adults. They had managed to make it to the river part of the system as opposed to the floodplain nearby, so I was hopeful that would at least get them away from the snapping turtle threat. However, after a short swim paddling in the current they returned to the swamp of death. I can't say the chances of this remaining cygnet making it through the week are any better than it's unlucky siblings. What a shame.

The summer birds are showing up in force now. Here is a Kildeer enjoying a balmy 59 degree morning today. ( it was snowing 12 days ago, so I'm not going to complain)
View attachment 387587

View attachment 387589

The summer birds are showing up in force now. Here is a Kildeer enjoying a balmy 59 degree morning today. ( it was snowing 12 days ago, so I'm not going to complain)
View attachment 387587

View attachment 387589
Excellent detail in this set. You've done this bird proud!

Tony

The UK based landscape photographer Nigel Danson has just released this YouTube video. As a non-bird photographer I found it really interesting (it may be a bit basic for some of you) but the Pro's piccies were superb.

Pro BIRD PHOTOGRAPHER SHARES HER SECRET TIPS with me

Edited to add: the portfolio pics on her website (linked in the video description) are just brilliant. Best I've seen.
Colin, around 18 minutes they start to discuss the settings.
Sorry, folks, but I don't have the time to watch 25 minutes of chatter in full.

The cameras (lenses, actually) make one realise why OMDS (Olympus) chose the format it did. I'm certain that the f/4.5 150-400 isn't hip height when resting on its lens hood! See review here:

And then there was one...
View attachment 387581

View attachment 387582
The mortality rate for these young swans is stunning. Checking on them this morning my heart sunk when I saw only one remaining cygnet swimming with the pair of adults. They had managed to make it to the river part of the system as opposed to the floodplain nearby, so I was hopeful that would at least get them away from the snapping turtle threat. However, after a short swim paddling in the current they returned to the swamp of death. I can't say the chances of this remaining cygnet making it through the week are any better than it's unlucky siblings. What a shame.
Will, as Richard Dawkins says, "Nature is the grim sower, more so than the grim reaper", or words to that effect. He is right. The mortality rate for infant turtles is about 999 per 1,000, IIRC. A lot of other creatures get fed along the way ...

Colin, around 18 minutes they start to discuss the settings.
Sorry, folks, but I don't have the time to watch 25 minutes of chatter in full.

The cameras (lenses, actually) make one realise why OMDS (Olympus) chose the format it did. I'm certain that the f/4.5 150-400 isn't hip height when resting on its lens hood! See review here:

That wasn't the point. For someone new to photography like me, and who hasn't taken any wildlife shots before, then it was the "25 minutes of chatter" that was most revealing. The tips about watching the behaviour first, about following with the eyes before lifting the camera etc were great. Rather than getting a photo of a bird sitting on a fence they discussed how to get photos about a bird and its behaviour and the examples shown of "good" compared to "ordinary" were very instructive. That might come naturally to an experienced photographer like you, but to me it was invaluable and I not only learnt a lot but I've been inspired to try some bird photography... and I can't ask for more than that. The bit about settings was the most obvious part of the whole video to me and probably most people on this forum too.

I appreciate that not everyone can (or want) to afford a Z9 + 600mm (or want to carry that weight and size) so the M43 info was useful. Thanks.

Back