Birds Show Birds

One from today - the good old Robin - I'm getting nearer and as you know Robins are a little more people friendly than other birds

Is this one a young bird just coming into winter plumage?

Robin_Day_19.jpg

Robin_Day_19_2.jpg

Julien - that's a really good shot

The best one I could get today from the Caen to Portsmouth cross channel ferry was is below; it was quite a pleasant day, Force 7 wind, choppy seas, but good light when we got to the UK side, very windy, enough to almost blow me off deck.

cropped image and taken with my D300 - I will never be able to get near enough to any (wild) bird to get a good shot with a small camera - I always need to use the longest lens that I have, (300mm at present)

Common Gull, (Adult)
gull.jpg

A nice find outside my apartment. Here where I live, the only thing that usually stays for the winter are a few cardinals, sparrows, and morning doves. They rarely come out in the winter, though. I think this is a carolina chickadee. Thing was bouncing from limb to limb so I was suprised I got any decent shots. These are 75 percent crops. Taken with E-PL2 @150mm. Small little things.

P1217879scale.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1217882scale.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bill, it's about 10 years old now, but one that was and probably still is highly regarded is the Collins Bird Guide by Killian Mullarney, Lars Svensson, Dan Zetterstrom and Peter J Grant. It's a black covered book and is a complete guide for Britain and Europe, so from the North Cape of Norway and northern Russia right down to North Africa and over to Turkey.

Barrie

Thanks Barrie and Paul - got the Book - impressive - good size and tons of content - Gimbal should arrive today, the one that is recommended on the bird site is made in the UK by an enthusiast - just one guy who I believe "turns them out" at home - very good price compared with the "famous make".

Narrowed down my affordable "birding" lens to a Nikon 300mm f4 AF, (NO VR and a new model is maybe due this year), plus a TC14 or the Sigma 150 500mm OS ...... the Sigma is about £750 and the Nikon set up about twice that ....... I've looked at these super zooms, the HS20 etc., ...... but no no ..... maybe I should consider a used M43 Panasonic 100 300m and use my G1 - quality seems good, has OS and with the x2 sensor will give me 600mm ..... or take a chance on a used 400mm or 500mm Nikon - but expensive and heavy and no chance to use for BIF

what do I do - the Sigma - £750 - OS - could use hand held now and again - but I'll only use it at the long, (400mm 500mm end), so I have no need for the tele,
OR the Nikon 300mm f4 with TC - twice the price - a Nikon prime - but no OS and an old design - but I can use it with or without the TC
OR stick with my Nikon 70 300mm VR for a while and keep search EBay for a good used 400mm Nikon and TC, or maybe a used AF Nikon 300mm f4

Help me decide!!

The Sigma, no the Nikon - no used - any other suggestions

Kathy - love the Kite...but this Frigate bird (I think? or an Albatross?) on this sculpture is fabulous! What wonderful companions they all make! You had perfect timing!

Kathy - love the Kite...but this Frigate bird (I think? or an Albatross?) on this sculpture is fabulous! What wonderful companions they all make! You had perfect timing!

Hi BB - you are now putting Barrie out of work with your bird naming expertise - is there any end to your skills - what next?

BB, exactly right - Magnificent Frigatebird (juvenile)!

p.s. I believe the bird in flight is a Magnificent Frigatebird as well - adult female.

BillN said:
Help me decide!!

Sorry Bill, I've only ever read about this sort of slr gear, never owned any of that ilk ... so I hope others will be able to advise better .. but I have a horrible feeling you are starting on a path which leads to selling body parts as you seek to buy longer, faster, ever more exotic bits of glass ...

Back