Birds Show Birds

Paul, you can be even more specific with that Starling, the white base to the bill and the heavier spotting marks it out as a female. The bill would lack the yellow colouration in winter although she would be more heavily spotted. The spots tend to wear off in breeding plumage due to wear of the tips of the feathers, although the female retains more spots in breeding plumage than does the male

Barrie

Olympus 135 f3.5 legacy lens and Zuiko X2-A teleconverter on e-M5

I posted these on mu-43, but as I'm quite pleased with the way the legacy glass works even with a 2X converter, I thought I'd repost here. The Zuiko 2X-A was designed with 4 lenses spefically in mind, including the 135 f3.5 and I think the dedicated converter makes a difference. I've never been happy in the past using teleconverters, so this has been a pleasant surprise. Just a garden variety robin, but I like them.

Fine images, Larry. I'm usually not much of a fan of small birds on the ground, but the robin looks good with the dandelions scattered around. Too bad robin #2 wasn't cooperative enough to give us a profile, but it's still a lovely shot with a great OOF area.

Where the wife goes, hubby follows. X10

X10mrandmrsduck.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice, rich, sharp, and beautifully composed. Next time I'm down at the Rio Grande, near which a nature center has some great feeders to attract birds, I'll bring along the X20.

Paul/Barrie

Lymington-Keyhaven Nature Reserve

I am going to go down this morning/afternoon as I am in Winchester

Golden Oriole - Keyhaven, Hampshire - April 2013 - YouTube

update - had a few hours down at the Reserve - beautiful day, quite a few guys in the Car Park waiting expectantly - the GO bird was the no show
bird - but a funny environment for a GO - Solent Estuary - gorse and scrub land - no vegetation over a couple of metres high - certainly no big trees - Lagoons and Marshes - place inhabited by waders, gulls, the odd buzzard, shell ducks, Egrets, quite a few (Little) Terns, Reed Buntings and saw a few Whitethroat's.
Good day - the Terns were nice ..... seemed like Little Terns to me

Tested my (new ) D7100 in x 1.3 crop mode - only jpegs so far as I need to update Lightroom to see the RAW files ..... only had a "cheap" Nikon telephoto with me and the extra pixels do seem to "show up" lesser quality lens

ID needed guys
Female Reed Bunting??

Reed_B_Fm.jpg

Little Terns - UK - Hampshire - small Lagoons off Solent Estuary - (Fishtail Lagoon Keyhaven)

"Sea-Swallows"

I spent an hour or two the other day watching them fishing - marvellous little birds

jpegs - all mega "crops"

Tern_1.jpg

Tern_2.jpg

Tern_3.jpg

Barrie/Paul
"ringed" - there is a small man assisted nesting area on one of the sandy "islands" in the middle of the small Lagoon?

Tern_4.jpg

Two from today, taken with my sneeky DSLR - (all taken with my "new" D7100 in x 1.3 crop mode with a 300mm f4 and x 1.4 TC = 812mm
still getting used to it - but it's not bad

just wish I'd got the second in focus but they were just too quick for me

the third one is for Barrie - taken from a long way away - I have heard them all week but they are elusive

BT_12_May.jpg

GF_12_May.jpg

GO_12_May.jpg

Back