Birds Show Birds

Abigail, sorry Chris

The nearest that I have seen are Red winged Starlings, (Rooivlerkspreeu), ....... they look really good in flight, but I never got a good shot

RW_S_1.jpg

RW_S_2.jpg

I think we have those here. The first time I saw one, I thought it was injured.

These are pretty good. (y) Trust me, these are better than what your 35-100 would have given you -- you wouldn't get bokeh that's this smooth with its f/2.8 (f/5.6 FF equivalent) aperture. The Olympus m. Zuiko 75/1.8 on the other hand would yield the same shallow DoF (both f/3.6 FF equivalent apertures). Kudos!

Male Linnet
We have a pair in the garden
Now on the RSPB "Red" List in the UK
Species declined by 57% in the last 40 years
What's happening Barrie ........ I suppose it's the usual "loss of habit" or should I say "destruction of habitat by man"

Linnet_2.jpg

Linnet_1.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeet

Sadly, I was unable to get his eyes. This mob (there were 20 or so, yesterday morning) were fighting vociferously amongst themselves and flitting between the trees in my yard and other trees in the neighbourhood... none staying still for long...

I love it! The eyes are less important than the color, which is wonderful, and the fact the silly thing is upside down. I find birds quite as amusing as cats. Too bad they are mortal enemies.

Breakfast

View attachment 69878

All taken with my newly acquired F. Zuiko 300mm f4.5 lens, the earlier non-multicoated version. I prefer manual focus when I'm birding anyway, and I'm thrilled with it. I don't think I miss any more shots because of the time it takes me to focus than I did from AF errors. I was using 4/3 lenses on micro 4/3 bodies, but I don't know that they were much slower than they were on the E-510 I originally used them on. In some ways it is beside the point. I really enjoy the process of using the legacy super telephotos, and the results seem reasonable, even if MTF charts might inform me of everything that is wrong with them.

Thanks, Larry, but I'm not a big fan of photographing a bird's nether regions... :laugh1:

Still, that was my first semi-decent shot of a Baltimore Oriole (hence the name Boog, for you baseball fans) so I'm happy to have it.

Back