Birds Show Birds

Taken in Daytona Beach, FL.

P5121841.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P5131944.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

a7ytyhys.jpg

Taken with my X10 at 112mm.

I literally got 2 feet from this bird just at the end of Lanzarote Airport. It appeared to be so used to people that I think it may have been an airport bird used to keep the airport clear of other birds.

yquma5ut.jpg

Taken with my X10 at 112mm near to Lanzarote Airport. I think it must have been a tamed bird as I literally got 2 feet from it. Possibly used to scare away other birds from the airport before they enter the jet engines of planes.

a7ytyhys.jpg

I literally got 2 feet from this bird just at the end of Lanzarote Airport. It appeared to be so used to people that I think it may have been an airport bird used to keep the airport clear of other birds.

I don't know; the way he's staring at you, I think I might have been a bit intimidated. Great shot, though, of a really handsome bird.

Here's a shot from today of the hawk's nest I've been watching. The chicks are fast becoming fledglings. Just a week ago they were much smaller, and except for under the wings, mostly white.

Here's a shot from today of the hawk's nest I've been watching. The chicks are fast becoming fledglings. Just a week ago they were much smaller, and except for under the wings, mostly white.

It must be sooo nice to watch them and see them grow up! Thanks for letting us enjoy the experience too.
Peter

It must be sooo nice to watch them and see them grow up! Thanks for letting us enjoy the experience too.
Peter

It's really been my favorite activity for a couple of weeks now, and before that I did enjoy photographing the parents getting the house ready. All in all a very rewarding experience. And I do enjoy using that 300mm f4.5 Zuiko legacy lens.

9068748069_ba42e1ed2f_c.jpg

Red Wattlebird by kyte50, on Flickr

I'm glad my local birds just eat nectar :)

Nice shot of a pretty bird.

Yeah, raptors can be disturbing. It's fascinating watching them prepare a nest, sit on eggs, and raise the young once they are hatched. But it's obvious from the moment they stick their sharp little ripping beaks out of the egg, that they are born killers. I was talking yesterday to my veterinarian's assistant, who told me her aunt wandered inadvertently too close to a hawk nest with young and was savagely attacked by the mother, sending her to the emergency room to get patched up. My nest is right above a very well traveled lawn with a kid's playground on the other end, so the hawks are accustomed to having people around. If, like me, you point things at the nest over extended periods of time, they do get upset and dive-bomb you, but so far -- now cowering in my car, lens sticking out -- I've been spared. Can't say the same for the small animals in the neighborhood. My neighbor is missing a kitten, and though I hate to contemplate it, there are three hungry fledglings in the local nest, so I assume it ended up as dinner.

But lest you think I''m only interested in avian gore (sounds like a cousin of Al), here's a couple from a hummingbird nest I followed a coupled of years ago. The chicks, in the first shot, are already quite big, and Mom, in the second is hovering around but not attacking. The nest was only 10 feet or so from the top of my front stairs.

View attachment 71173

Nice shot of a pretty bird.
Thank you :)

...My neighbor is missing a kitten, and though I hate to contemplate it, there are three hungry fledglings in the local nest, so I assume it ended up as dinner.
YIKES! Still I suppose thats nature. I was watching a David Attenborough thing last night and had to turn it off when a crocodile took down a very large bird after it fell from its perch in a tree above the river... could not cope! (Wuss, me)

But lest you think I''m only interested in avian gore (sounds like a cousin of Al), here's a couple from a hummingbird nest I followed a coupled of years ago. The chicks, in the first shot, are already quite big, and Mom, in the second is hovering around but not attacking. The nest was only 10 feet or so from the top of my front stairs.

View attachment 71181

I'm so glad you photograph other things, as well :):) That first one is particularly good, Larry :).

Thank you :)

YIKES! Still I suppose thats nature. I was watching a David Attenborough thing last night and had to turn it off when a crocodile took down a very large bird after it fell from its perch in a tree above the river... could not cope! (Wuss, me)

I'm so glad you photograph other things, as well :):) That first one is particularly good, Larry :).

Thanks. I'm a wuss too, when I watch nature shows. I know about predators and their prey, and I even know that removing top predators from ecological systems can cause no end of subsequent trouble, but I still think, "OK, that's nature; I still don't have to watch it."

a7ytyhys.jpg

(Barrie) Kestrel presumably

(Barrie) is that a Bonelli's Eagle - too small anyway - if so aren't they quite rare ....... or is it a Kestrel which it looks like

beautiful bird

Back