Birds Show Birds

I haven't posted anything here for a while, though I confess I've put some of these up at mu-43. So here's a couple of recent ones.

1.) Hairy Woodpecker

2.) Female Summer Tanager (I think)

3.) Black headed Grosbeak and house finch
View attachment 73029

4.) Pink Flamingo (yes, I went to the zoo and posted this on that thread

5.) House Finch ( I just fell in love with this little guy)

Spotted Towee

P8164457_Towee.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P8164459_towee.jpg

I always feel a little weird posting these in "Serious compacts". My E-M5 qualifies, but the 300mm F.Zuiko f4.5 I have on it for most of my recent bird shots is anything but compact. But it's still smaller than a big old Canon FF SLR with a 300 f2.8 or something similar, so I figure I can get my kit under the "compact" wire -- just barely.

P8164457_Towee.jpg

P8164459_towee.jpg

I always feel a little weird posting these in "Serious compacts". My E-M5 qualifies, but the 300mm F.Zuiko f4.5 I have on it for most of my recent bird shots is anything but compact. But it's still smaller than a big old Canon FF SLR with a 300 f2.8 or something similar, so I figure I can get my kit under the "compact" wire -- just barely.

LOL! Don't fret over it, seriously. I still post the odd shot from my K-5 which is quite a small DSLR by comparison with many others. I've thought I might drag out a tripod, and take the V1 + adapter + adapter + formula 5 200mm f/3.5... which would take the equiv to 540mm ... but no. something would be bound to break.

Eagle Eye

The two eagles at the Portland, Oregon Zoo are difficult to photograph. For one thing they are rescue birds that each have but one eye. So, composing and capturing a worthy shot is twice as hard as usual. Their environment is a giant cage so the second hurdle is taking a good shot, then spending a fair amount of time in post processing removing the chain link fence from behind them. My editing skills have improved to the point where you could never detect the work done but it's time consuming and meticulous work. I only process the best expressions because of the work involved. Here's one of only 3 finished keepers that I have in my collection and the first taken with my Fuji X-E1 with 55-200mm F/3.5-4.8 lens aboard.

The%20Eagle%20Has%20Landed%202-X2.jpg

Gorgeous! And nope, I can't tell there was ever a fence :D

I feel your pain too, the only good close-up eagle shot I've gotten was through a fence at the Alaska Wildlife Center and it was painstaking trying to remove the fence shadow from the shots (doubly so since I wasn't very good at it at).

You're more than welcome, Bob.

If you have a link to a photo website such as Flickr, etc., please consider adding it to your signature line.

Although I haven't been as active on the site as I used to be, I do plan on being around more often and look forward to seeing many more photos from you.

This fantail has been visiting our yard for a few months now - usually in the evening in the worst possible lighting. Yesterday the little guy did a daytime visit and I shot off nearly 200 frames over 15 mins and finally got some in focus, close range ( approx 1.5m) shots at around 400ISO.
Uncropped photos below. Nice bokeh I reckon for a small format camera, eh?

View attachment 6793

View attachment 6794

Following his erratic flight with an eye level finder (DSLR style) would have been virtually impossible and was difficult even with the rear LCD and looking over the top of the camera. So often he disappeared in the instant of black out on the screen during a shot and was 3-4m away on a another tree branch! So don't believe anyone who says mirrorless and rear LCDs are no good for birding!

My next personal challnge is to get an in-focus BIF image of him.:D

Very very nice!! They are such cute little fellows. I'm going to head back up to where I saw mine and see if I can land some better shots of him.

Barrie, I'm so glad your move has not stymied your birding!

I wasn't birding when I stumbled across those guys, actually enjoying a misty dawn with rather pastel colours and looking for the shot for day 22 of Silver September. They were standing on Mount Batten Pier (breakwater) and that's an uncropped shot with the 45-175mm zoom on my GH2 at maximum stretch, so you can tell how close they tolerated me. You can take the man out of the country and back to the city, but you can't take the natural historian out of the man :)

Paul, I don't know what yours are feeding on, but they've been recorded as feeding on discarded fish and chips, so almost anything is possible it would seem. World wide travelers.

Barrie

very similar Yeats, but not quite the same family.
our Ringed- and Little-Ringed Plovers are closer relations, but in the UK , a Killdeer would be quite a "tick" for a birder;

Never heard of a turnstone before.

Chris,

On your side of the pond these guys would be known as Ruddy Turnstone, and you have these, the nominate race Arenaria interpres and the sub species Arenaria morinella as well as on the Pacific coast another species, the Black Turnstone, Arenaria melanocephala

They are mostly found on rocky coasts breeding in the high Arctic and wintering on every continent except Antarctic, truly a global traveler.

Barrie

Back