Birds Show Birds

I'm surprised that a Robin would carry such strongly yellow plumage, but then I have never had one in the hand as I'm sure you have Barrie.

LaughingDove.jpg

Glad to see this thread still going strong :) Here's a recent, impromptu pic of a Laughing Dove resting in the afternoon, at home in Jaipur, India. Nikon Coolpix P7700, 1/125, f4, ISO 80, 200 mm equivalent focal length.

Ah thank you Barrie, that's kind of you to have taken the trouble.

To my eye they look distinctly different. The Kingfisher's appear more of an orangey-brown, whereas "mine" are definitely yellow.

While both the Kongfisher's and "mine" are contour feathers, I'd also say the structure is a rather different, "mine" being more elongated, leaf-shaped, (but unless we knew exactly from where on the birds they came from that might not be so important I suppose?)

I

Paul,

I did think and suggest at the time of your original posting that the shape was wrong, so I'm pleased to see that you concur with that. I failed to determine the yellow nature of the colour from your posting, but that's ok, you saw the feathers. I'm afraid that the id will remain in the category of unknown, though I'm not sure that Goldfinch body feathers would contain any yellow, that would be on the primary and secondary feathers, perhaps Yellowhammer might be a candidate?

Barrie

Female Downy Woodpecker

I haven't shot any birds for a while (strictly in the photographic sense, of course), but I saw this little gal in the tree next to my house as I was out back to turn the hot water up for the winter. I'd never seen a woodpecker in the immediate neighborhood, so of course I had to get a photograph.

PA205374_SC.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back