Show: Blown highlights

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
I can't deny that like most others dynamic range is important to me. But, and maybe it's just the way my brain is wired, I sometimes gain sheer enjoyment out of intentionally blowing highlights - and over-stretching the limit of my digital technology. Here's one I burned on the sensor today....be really keen to know of others who share in this deviant streak, and be keen to see examples of your indulgences.

6245707245_c2d2cd1967_b.jpg

What I learned over on DPR that these are all junk because the highlights are blow. Yet somehow, I like them!

I'm amazed you keep taking photographs now that you've had judgment passed down from on high ...

:rofl:

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I had a picture that I liked, granted I was brand new to digital photography, only to have someone tell me my highlights were blown... I can remember a specific picture. I still like it the way I did it back then, however at the time I did not have the courage of my convictions. Heck, I'd probably redo it in an even more contrasty way today. I know better now to stick to what I feel works best from my own point of view...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead and all that.;)

Great thread, Mark! I'm so pleased to see everyone's pictures - and Karen,
My head tells me this doesn't work but I like it anyway.
- never ever listen to that head of yours!:D

Shooting into the sun - playing with a HiTech Pro 10-stopper with Nikon D90 and Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5

6247097508_4910c3aa6e_b.jpg

Tide Measuring Station at Camp Cove nht10s by peterb666, on Flickr

Even with the much greater dynamic range of the Nikon and using HDR there is no way that this was going to result in anything other than a bit of blown hightlights.

I have posted others in this series taken with the Nikon and my Olympus E-P3 in the Show Clouds Sunrise/Sunset thread.

What a refreshing sight to wake to in the morning. There was not a shot amongst them that didn't speak to me in some way...It's reassuring to see others who not only like to defy the dictum "Obey thy histrogram" but intentionally see pictures beyond the 0 to 255 scale. Also noticed that I, and a few others, blocked their shadows too! Tsk, Tsk! :bravo-009:

Please keep them coming....and viva liberty!

What a refreshing sight to wake to in the morning. There was not a shot amongst them that didn't speak to me in some way...It's reassuring to see others who not only like to defy the dictum "Obey thy histrogram" but intentionally see pictures beyond the 0 to 255 scale. Also noticed that I, and a few others, blocked their shadows too! Tsk, Tsk! :bravo-009:

Please keep them coming....and viva liberty!

Took the words right out of my mouth, well said. Being a baby boomer myself I still have abit (okay alot) of the 60's still in me. Sort of a non conformist type person, hating rules and going my own way, and especially not caring to
listen to people who are great judge of a photos. It is what it is! You are what you are!

My early photo website xp was all about judging and cirtique. Luckily there are a very few sites like SC where on can come and explore his
craft with freedom to do as he or she sees fit. And we seem to do a pretty good job of being patience, helpful and all that good stuff. Thats the one major reason Im here. That and BB asked me over...haha... cheers all. Pete

starbucks_chair1.JPG

Took the words right out of my mouth, well said. Being a baby boomer myself I still have abit (okay alot) of the 60's still in me. Sort of a non conformist type person, hating rules and going my own way, and especially not caring to
listen to people who are great judge of a photos. It is what it is! You are what you are!

My early photo website xp was all about judging and cirtique. Luckily there are a very few sites like SC where on can come and explore his
craft with freedom to do as he or she sees fit. And we seem to do a pretty good job of being patience, helpful and all that good stuff. Thats the one major reason Im here. That and BB asked me over...haha... cheers all. Pete

starbucks_chair1.JPG

Bravo. Great shot and great mood.

Back