Show Bridges

This is the I 40 bridge across the Mississippi River which connects Memphis, TN to Arkansas. A couple years ago they added a high-tech light display which begins at sunset and repeats on the top of every hour. A couple days ago I arrived about an hour before sunset hoping to catch a beauty. It turned out bland with only a minimal amount of color, even at blue hour. The 5 pm display was unremarkable. Below are three color variations from the 6 pm display. I was shooting from the Big River Crossing Bridge, a few miles south of the I 40 bridge using my Fuji X Pro 2 with the 50-230 which is my longest lens. Frankly, it wasn't the best lens for the occasion but the longest I own except for the Sony RX 10 III. My favorite is the blue which is the color for the Memphis Grizzlies and the University of Memphis. I may get a metal print for my man cave. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 278558

View attachment 278559

View attachment 278560
Very, very cool!

This is an old iron bridge that has now been declared unsafe for vehicles. It is outside a ghost community that was once known as Bois d Arc. The locals, not being French shortened it to Bodarc and later to Boder. It is a nice place to take our dogs and to picnic. With our unseasonably warm weather, we drove about 30 miles to see it again I doubt it will last much longer with no maintenance. The first shot is of the keeper of the bridge, a very sweet local dog.

DSC_9425-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_9428-2.jpg
DSC_9431-3.jpg
DSC_9439-2.jpg
DSC_9449-2.jpg

The railroad and pedestrian bridge over the Rhine River in Cologne. One of my exchange sons had just got his doctorate from the University of Berlin and was getting married so we went, of course, to honor him. His reception was just across from the Cathedral so we took a short leave to photograph this magnificent scene.

DSC_1612.JPG

This was on the same trip. I was divorced from the lady who was the exchange son's host mother and he invited us both to come. I had a new wife of some 7 years and she had just remarried to a former NFL Quarterback who was with the NY Giants for years and played intermittently. The son had got us all rooms and got them next to each other. My wife was not ecstatic about being super sweet but she is a trooper and we made it through the wedding and reception. My ex mentioned that we should take a Rhine cruise together but we were prepared. We told her we were going to Prague and we did. After they left, we came back and had a great time with the student's real family for several days. Here is the Charles Bridge in color at night.

DSC_3871.JPG

Railroad bridge, ca.1920's; abandoned long ago for RR use, but has been repurposed into a bicycle and snowmobile trail. I really like the many complicated angles found in the construction of riveted steel bridges. It's probably 50 feet up to the driving surface. Too much standing timber to get a decent sideview shot.

1643066389670.jpeg

Back