Show Bridges

Old file re-processed with Silver Efex. This wooden bridge has now been replaced with a metal structure:

Darley-Abbey-13012013-056-FCS-T18-B12-50-web.jpg

We have one that looks very similar where I walk my dog on a morning ...

View attachment 314106

GFX 50R, GF63mm

Are they Bailey Bridges used by the Army in NZ as temporary structures after flooding etc, and during wars when permanent bridges are blown up?

When I was a child there was one at the bottom of the Remutaka mountain range, and we were always excited to travel over it :).

Are they Bailey Bridges used by the Army in NZ as temporary structures after flooding etc, and during wars when permanent bridges are blown up?

When I was a child there was one at the bottom of the Remutaka mountain range, and we were always excited to travel over it :).
The one in my image is a disused railway bridge on a local line which crosses the Staffs and Worcester Canal. The railway line was opened in 1925 and closed in the mid Sixties and is now a nature reserve where I often take photos. I had a quick look at the Remutaka Mountain Range on the web. It looks a wonderful place for landscapes, no wonder you got excited :)

The one in my image is a disused railway bridge on a local line which crosses the Staffs and Worcester Canal. The railway line was opened in 1925 and closed in the mid Sixties and is now a nature reserve where I often take photos. I had a quick look at the Remutaka Mountain Range on the web. It looks a wonderful place for landscapes, no wonder you got excited :)

Back then the landscape didn't have the same appeal, and there was a lot of gorse. The native trees and shrubs have since grown up through the gorse. I must stop and take some shots next time I am down that way.

Back