Show Bridges

jmvvX-n6utx2tooagxnfqmzm2s3idi.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We were lucky enough to live in the south of France, close to Carcassonne and the Canal du Midi. We were there for 13 yers and had a wonderful time. The canal is a lovely peice of engineering built in the 1600s by a bloke called Pierre Paul Riquet. That was with the help of about 14,000 navvies of course.

One of the original bridges on the 150 mile canal is just outside Trebes (the 's' is silent) The photo was before the platan (plane) trees because of a canker infection. somewhere 40,000 trees had to be felled!

Pont du Rode with trees.JPG

The water flows continuously over the locks and there's about a 1 or 2 mph flow in the canal.The paddles in this are part open, but as you can see the water is coming over the top as well

Filling a lock 2-003.JPG

It isn't always sunny there either and we had minus temps every year, once getting down to -11ºC

Snowy canal.JPG

Carcassonne, the old Cité is a beautiful place and this the Pont Vieux which goes from The Cité to Bass Carcassonne, Bastide St Louis. Pedestrian only now.There are some lovely views of the Cité from there.

Aude high & Pont Vieux-004.JPG

Waterloo Bridge, Runcorn, Cheshire.

2312-02 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

It just about spans the Bridgewater Canal, but as you can see the canal ends in the foreground.
From this point the canal used to split in two and proceeded via a series of locks, to join up with the Manchester Ship Canal and the River Mersey.
Sadly, the locks were abandoned and filled in many years ago, but there is now an enthusiastic pressure group trying to get them reinstated, though I doubt I'll see them completed in my lifetime.

Back