Show Bridges

I promised an intact clapper bridge some time ago. This is the much photographed bridge at Postbridge on Dartmoor, conveniently close to the "modern" main road, so little physical effort required to reach it

140312-DP1M0490.jpg

Bridges from two different eras for the price of one

140312-DP1M0483.jpg

It's very likely that this clapper bridge was a late build in terms of the time it was built. It is thought to have been built by tin miners when they opened up the nearby Vitifer tin mines. It was needed to get the smelted tin down to the stannary town of Tavistock using pack horses, that was back in the thirteenth century, most such bridges were built many hundreds of years earlier.

Barrie

It's a long time since I've been there, Barrie.

Another clapper bridge can be found at the village of Wycoller in Lancashire, although this one does require a bit more effort to get to see as no cars are allowed to park in the village. They have to be left at the top and you hike down - not an unpleasant walk though.

18700size_zps8583ac15.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And, this is the ancient packhorse bridge in the same village. This used to be the main cotton trade route between Lancashire and Yorkshire, the village is steeped in history which is well worth Googling. The Bronte sisters used to come here to write, Haworth isn't too far away.

1x450sizeforwebsite_zps14ef8121.jpg

4c_zpsf5f6ffd0.jpg

Pics are the wrong way round right? First one is Two Bridges, second is Postbridge. Ok am off to go sit in pedant's corner now.

Please stop posting great images of Dartmoor. It'll only end up with me quitting my job and moving back to the Westcountry.

"I have never before, in my long and eclectic career, been gifted*with such an abundance of natural beauty as I experienced filming*War Horse on Dartmoor"*Steven Spielberg - The Times Weds Jan 11th 2012

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Pics are the wrong way round right? First one is Two Bridges, second is Postbridge. Ok am off to go sit in pedant's corner now.

Sorry, but they are both of the clapper bridge at Postbridge, taken within a minute or two of one another

Please stop posting great images of Dartmoor. It'll only end up with me quitting my job and moving back to the Westcountry.

NO! :D

Barrie

13990154595_7c9aaf28b7_c.jpg

Two old bridges on the route of the abandoned railway from Yelverton to Princetown

This railway ran across the high moor to Princetown and operated between 1883 and 1956.

A bridge over the old track bed near Ingra Tor
14090054174_0a6db9321e_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0612-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

A bridge that carried the track about two miles west of Princetown
13902975629_02bea70041_b.jpg

140502-DP1M0596-b+w by barrie.whitehall, on Flickr

Barrie

Lunch in Looe, Cornwall
atugamyz.jpg

View from the bridge
danyjutu.jpg

tyqupa5a.jpg

qagyraza.jpg

Sony hx50, snapseed
Tried using in camera hdr, the scene mode but comes out blurry with watercolour type effect so guessing im not staying still enough.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Wow, that first photo with those crazy apartment blocks in the background and the dirigible in the air is something else. Like a rendering by an early Modernist architect. Nice!

Back