Show Bridges

DSC08462_DxO.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC08486.jpg

Very impressive what was made of iron to last all these years.
Whenever you have a chance to get to Ironbridge visit the

COALBROOKDALE MUSEUM OF IRON

and see what our ancestors were able to create out of this material. On show there are even simple things for everyday use that lasted a long time and did not end up in the oceans.

Very impressive what was made of iron to last all these years.
Whenever you have a chance to get to Ironbridge visit the

COALBROOKDALE MUSEUM OF IRON

and see what our ancestors were able to create out of this material. On show there are even simple things for everyday use that lasted a long time and did not end up in the oceans.
The Blists Hill Open air museum a few miles away is also well worth a visit if you want to pretend you’re in a Victorian English town.

Last edited:
The iron bridge at, er, Ironbridge in Shropshire (one of the cradles of the Industrial Revolution).
View attachment 244217
Here’s a couple more showing the River Severn underneath and the year of construction (1779 if I read my Latin numbers correctly).
B3F2F9AF-3F49-4CB2-B7C1-595A897EE921.jpeg
E5FFE094-96DE-48A3-B0B9-C2C9926D5B46.jpeg

The Blist Hill Open air museum a few miles away is also well worth a visit if you want to pretend you’re in a Victorian English town.
Thanks, Martin.
I know Blist´s Hill. Spent a few hours there to gather some knowledge about living and working in 19th century society.
It was quite elucidating as I like to read novels written at that time and now I can refer to some "real" images

Kortrijk in Flanders

p2581224056-6.jpg

p2581224128-6.jpg

p2581224737-6.jpg

p2581224743-6.jpg

p2581224934-6.jpg

p2581225044-6.jpg

p2581222587-6.jpg

This is the town next to the village where I grew up and went to high school.
First sets are all rather new bridges. The last one dates from the middle ages. The river was used as part of the defenses of the castle and town.
Situated at the banks of a river that flows to Ghent and from there as the stream Scheldt to Antwerp, settlement here is documented from the earliest times of the Roman occupation.
(no written records before that)

A strange experience to go back as a tourist some 40 years later :)

PS these are all with the Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P.

50833578991_914cbe3b6e_h.jpg

Ruisseau des Chèvres
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Mademoiselle Anne pausing on the D20 bridge over the Ruisseau des Chèvres to take a photograph having descend via the Fiarouze Valley.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D9-10: Day 9 of 13 – Le Pont de Montvert to Florac: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

Back