Show Bridges

2023_0416_18210200-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Are there any height warnings?
I could just imagine something a bit too tall going through and driving off with it!

To prove it really happens, a work colleague of mine was delivering a 'cherry-picker' type vehicle and hit a low railway bridge (despite the signs!).
It seemed most of these bridges we saw were pretty well signed for height. I don't recall the specifics for these two in particular. I suspect there was a height warning sign near the "one lane bridge" sign, but out of frame.

Not that that necessarily prevents anything, as your story illustrates. I've heard lots of anecdotes about drivers plowing into low bridges and then using the excuse that they were simply following GPS instructions. There's one notoriously low bridge in the arboretum here in Seattle that is only about 9' (less than 3m) tall. That bridge eats trucks and the occasional bus on a regular basis. I can almost understand when it's a rental U-Haul type moving van driven by a non-professional, but there's really no excuse when it's a charter bus with a "professional" driver.

- K

52847620741_b648ca8b52_h.jpg

Arched Bridge by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The geo-tagging is not helping me to place this bridge but as it was taken near the end of the day, the river may well be the Gardon de Saint Jean.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D12-19: Day 12 of 12 – St Germain de Calberte to Saint Jean du Gard: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

Back