Show: Churches

kaito

Regular
Location
Wiltshire UK
Real Name
Dave
DSCF2879.JPG


Chapel of the Rest, Box, Wiltshire, UK.

27mm, 1/200th at F9, ISO 200, Velvia mode, SOOC.
 
I visited in a town in Western Finland, which is named Uusikaupunki, New Town. It's established in 1617, so fairly new town then. It was build because sea was escaping and the trade needed a town with a harbor.

Old church was built in 1623-1629, an old stone church with wooden roof. (In this town, there is also New church, built 1858-1863, so remarkably new church that is)

19300256833_2e14442e8c_h.jpg

uusikaupunki 2015-07-07 17.22.15 FUJIFILM X-T1 XF35mmF1.4 R f4.0 1_160s ISO250
by Matero, on Flickr

New Chuch showing in the background
19734546529_306a67a9b7_h.jpg

uusikaupunki 2015-07-07 17.15.58 FUJIFILM X-T1 XF35mmF1.4 R f5.6 1_550s ISO200
by Matero, on Flickr

19733179358_308bac17a3_h.jpg

uusikaupunki 2015-07-07 17.14.11 FUJIFILM X-T1 XF35mmF1.4 R f2.8 1_2000s ISO200
by Matero, on Flickr

19895009946_0ccb2171eb_h.jpg

uusikaupunki 2015-07-07 17.13.20 FUJIFILM X-T1 XF35mmF1.4 R f2.8 1_220s ISO200
by Matero, on Flickr

19921217385_5825249ff3_h.jpg

uusikaupunki 2015-07-07 17.11.16 FUJIFILM X-T1 XF35mmF1.4 R f2.8 1_160s ISO200
by Matero, on Flickr
 

Aushiker

Hall of Famer
Location
Fremantle, Western Australia
Real Name
Andrew
29299790007_982ffb6dc9_k.jpg

Square de la Tour-Saint-Jacques - PARIS-2018-44
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Wikipedia reports that Saint-Jacques Tower is a monument located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France, on Rue de Rivoli at Rue Nicolas Flamel.

This 52-metre (171 ft) Flamboyant Gothic tower is all that remains of the former 16th-century Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie ("Saint James of the butchers"), which was demolished in 1797, during the French Revolution, leaving only the tower. What remains of the destroyed church of St. Jacques La Boucherie is now considered a national historic landmark.
 

Aushiker

Hall of Famer
Location
Fremantle, Western Australia
Real Name
Andrew
49132327501_233ae5d62f_h.jpg

Scots Presbyterian Church, Fremantle
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Scots Presbyterian Church is a Presbyterian church located at 90 South Terrace, on the corner of Norfolk and Parry Streets, in Fremantle, Western Australia.[1] It was the first Presbyterian Church built in Fremantle and one of only six to decline amalgamation with the Uniting Church.

The Fremantle City Council, approved plans for Scots Presbyterian Church at a special meeting in March 1890, and on 26 March 1890 the foundation stone was laid by John Forrest. The architect for the building was Talbot Hobbs, the building contractor was Messrs. J. Petrie and Company, with internal decorative painting carried out by E. Bockelmann. The building was completed at a cost of £2,000 and officially opened on 26 November 1890.
Gaslight was introduced in 1902 and replaced with electric light in 1905. The church was re-roofed at a cost of £150 in 1911, and in 1975 the Church was awarded a A$15,000 National Estate grant for repairs to brickwork and wiring. In 1985 a wall around the church was constructed, with a rear shed added on in 1994.

This photo is taken from the rear and highlights how the church today is very much a part of the life of Fremantle, with the Fremantle Markets next door.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Top Bottom