Architecture Show: Churches

La Salette Shrine, Kodaikanal, India

DSCF3346-C1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSCF3347-C1.jpg

a peculiar church, France, La Garde-Adhémar, Le val des nymphes

p214162620-6.jpg

p262700397-6.jpg

There was a source there, feeding the water into a pond.

p213355907-6.jpg

p93567579-6.jpg

p361793864-6.jpg

and some strange looking trees

p416088524-6.jpg

All in all, there was a special feel about that place that can hardly be captured in images of course.

Last edited:
Bart, you are an unofficial D700 ambassador.
Thanks, Ray!

I do have a large number of image files from that camera. I found it to be a great allrounder that never let me down.
With this lens attached - Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P - it becomes a walk-around camera that felt very close to using a film camera.
For me at least. Before I started with digital, I used a Pentax SP500 with a 50mm Super-Takumar f/1.4.
I still have it. When I got a new Df at an incredible favourable yearend action in a Finnish camera store, I felt the resell value wasn't worth the trouble.
(I've never sold anything yet :))

Last edited:
Another out-of-the-ordinary church / chapel from France, Le Drôme Provençale.

p438505814-6.jpg

p897207673-6.jpg

p734422213-6.jpg

p847534330-6.jpg

p647089133-6.jpg

For those not familiar with French, a summarized translation:
build on a rock outcrop, ordered by a bishop upon his return from a visit to the holy land (1505-1507).
Hexagonal plan and as the board says: built in the flamboyant gothic style.
Which sounds really strange to me: we have lots of gothic style buildings in Flanders and this chapel is definitely not in a style I would call flamboyant.
Not too sure about the "gothic" either. The period, early 16th century (after 1507 - not 15th as is written) is easily past the period of the gothic architecture and well into the renaissance.
Just goes to show that what is written on informational boards is best examined more closely.
The year seems to be correct and the reference to gothic style as well. Perhaps the bishop was kind of nostalgic :rolleyes:

32811319488_12614658e7_h.jpg

The Bells of Ussel - Chemin de Stevenson - France -2018-D2-24
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

We paused in Ussel, a hamlet of Haute-Loire , which administratively attached to the municipality of Brignon for a drink and rest on a hot day. That, however, was it and we soon moved on, eager to reach Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas which was still a fair bit away.

Day 2 of 12 - Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille to Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

31869665647_deddac4a48_h.jpg

Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas Church and War Memorial - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D3-01
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Mademoiselle Anne was not great this morning due to her leg injuries so it was rather a brief goodbye to Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas with a quick stop at the local church/war memorial and a statue in honour of Robert Lois Stevenson and Modestine.

Interestingly Robert Lois Stevenson never intended to visit Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas but he got lost looking for his intended commune for the night, the nearby Lac de Bouchet. He stayed in Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas on September 22, 1878, some 140 years before us :)

Day 3 of 12 - Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas to Langogne: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.