Architecture Show: Churches

We visited our old stamping ground of Weobley in Herefordshire earlier this week. Here's the famous church with some lambs on the foreground.
IMG_20210423_205949.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

43534117874_bb2fe5fa13_h.jpg

The Gargoyles of Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie - PARIS-2018-45 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

A crop of the gargoyles of the former 16th-century Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France, on Rue de Rivoli at Rue Nicolas Flamel.

This 52-metre (171 ft) Flamboyant Gothic tower is all that remains of the former 16th-century Church of Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie ("Saint James of the butchers"), which was demolished in 1797, during the French Revolution, leaving only the tower. What remains of the destroyed church of St. Jacques La Boucherie is now considered a national historic landmark.

St Gudmund.jpg
St Gudmund-2.jpg
St Gudmund-4.jpg
St Gudmund-3.jpg
St Gudmund-5.jpg

St Gudmund Catholic Church, at Jessheim, Norway.

After the reformation, the catholic churches were few and far between up here, to the tune of Jesuits being forbidden to enter the kingdom untill 1956, but after the influx of Vietnamese refugees in the late 70s early 80s, and Polish workers in the 90 and 00s, they are popping up here and there.

51199830710_57fea47b79_h.jpg

St Oswald’s Anglican Church, Meekatharra, WA by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

St Oswald’s Anglican Church is today it seems the Meekatharra presbyterian church, the only church remaining on what was known as Church Hill.

The State Heritage Register describes St Oswald’s thus:

St Oswald's Anglican Church (fmr) was built to a design by architect Harry M. Marwood of Geraldton and dedicated on 24 August 1909 by Bishop Riley. Crooks and Brooker, who had a hardware store in Meekatharra, were the builders. The building was also used by the Freemasons until they acquired their own Lodge building in 1915. St Oswald’s Anglican Church became the centre of the Meekatharra Mission district covering Nannine, Peak Hill, Tuckanarra and Garden Gully. In the 1930s, services were being held on Thursday and Sunday in rotation with Wiluna, which had been added to the Rector's round. From 1936 to 1948, St Oswald’s was part of the Wiluna parish, reverting to Cue parish from 1948 to 1957…

In the 21st century, services are held each Saturday for an Anglican congregation that fluctuates between 12-13 and 6-7 people. Of the three churches established in Meekatharra, St Oswald's is the only one remaining. The Catholic and Methodist churches were on the same street and the area was known as Church Hill.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 46.

48487549076_2dcad6500a_h.jpg

Notre-Dame de Tous Graces – Rear view - Le Cheylard l’Evèque - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-09 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

As we had a bit of time to spare in Le Cheylard l’Evèque whilst waiting for our transport, I took the opportunity to make the climb to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces (Our Lady of All the Graces), a Roman Catholic chapel which is located on a rock that overlooks the village of Le Cheylard l’Evèque and surrounding area. The rock is the reason I believe a bishop of the time purchased the land in 1321.

Given the location, the chapel is quite a beast to photograph, with the rear of the chapel, which is an interesting design, being the best perspective of the whole chapel.

The chapel is dated 1869.

48517297861_f04e8727a3_h.jpg

Notre-Dame de Tous Graces – Altar - Le Cheylard l’Evèque - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-10 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

As we had a bit of time to spare in Le Cheylard l’Evèque whilst waiting for our transport, I took the opportunity to make the climb to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces (Our Lady of All the Graces), a Roman Catholic chapel which is located on a rock that overlooks the village of Le Cheylard l’Evèque and surrounding area. The rock is the reason I believe a bishop of the time purchased the land in 1321.

The chapel is dated 1862.

48573034172_5522c87b82_h.jpg

Notre-Dame de Tous Graces – Dated #2- Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-13 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The chapel is dated 1862.

48592158766_57b5dafc31_h.jpg

Station of the Cross - Notre-Dame de Tous Graces - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-14 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The path from the Refuge du Moure to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces is marked by 12 Stations of the Cross. This is one of the stations. They were all hard to photograph so I limited myself to this one as an example.

Day 5 of 12 - Le Cheylard l’Evèque to La Bastide-Puylaurent: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.