Architecture Show: Churches

DSC00130.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50785731553_02e8457894_h.jpg

Special Services 9 AM 2 August by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Worshiping is apparently a significant activity in Goomalling with several religions represented. The first place of worship we came across was Saint Pauls. A church of the Anglican faith and part of the Anglican Church of Australia, Diocese of Perth, Parish of Toodyay – Goomalling.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - - #GMOPE 14.

A bit black over Bill's mother's this afternoon.

Went to test my loaner Tokina Opera 16-28mm f2.8 lens in Sutton Coldfield - managed ten minutes before the rain started. All shot at 16mm f8.

This lens has had a pretty luke warm reception, with some reviewers unhappy with the performance wide-open. From what I can see, it's no worse at f2.8 than my Sigma Art 24-70mm f2.8 - which is lauded as a fabulous lens. The Tokina is currently £400 on Amazon UK in Canon EF fitting. That's pretty good value IMO.

holy_trinity_4.jpg

holy_trinity_2.jpg

holy_trinity_3.jpg

Last edited:
Something special: a small church constructed from sea sand and concrete in (one of the) most remote parts of Iceland.

P9160461.jpg

P9160458.jpg

"When he retired at the age of 72 in 1958, Samuel Jónson pursued his dreams and became an artist. Mostly he created sculptures from concrete and carried the sand on his back from the shore to his farm Brautarholt. In his backyard, among other things, he has replicated the Lions Court in Alhambra."

His house:
P9160447.jpg

His replica of the Lions Court, Alhambra, Spain:

P9160453.jpg

When in old age his sight deteriorated markedly, he marked the walking path with white shells in order to reach the beach and collect sand for his structures.