Architecture Show: Churches

Egise Saint Cirq et Sainte Juliette, St Cirq-Lapopie, France

IMG_7721 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Once again, France.
Let me introduce You to Rocamadour, perhaps the second most visited place in France (after the Mont St Michel). Situated in the valley of the Alzou river in the "Lot"provinde. On the first photo You will see the four parts of the village: the valley with parking lot, above the road leading to the only commercial street (restaurants and too many souvenir shops, in the middle the different sanctuaries and on top the castle.

P1130456 copy.jpg

The church itself is built partly inside the mountain, not much is to be seen from the outside. Over the entrance a coloured freeze.

P1130378 copy.jpg

P1130439 copy.jpg

P1130379 copy.jpg

Inside the church, there are two separate parts. First the one further from the entrance.

P1130398-RW2_DxO_DeepPRIMEXDAnd3more_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

P1130382-RW2_DxO_DeepPRIMEXDAnd4more_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

P1130387-RW2_DxO_DeepPRIMEXDAnd4more_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

And now the main church.
P3236040-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXDAnd2more_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

P3236028-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXDAnd2more_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

If You ever visit this church, be prepared: it is very dark! It is only after taking pictures that You can appreciate the colouring.

The Cathedral of Our Lady in Freiburg (or Freiburg Minster)
P3135306.1.jpg
P3135308.1.JPG

The spire is considered to be one of the most beautiful. It forms a triangle whose long sides upwards form a slight arc, barely noticeable. This is considered to be the reason of its very special aesthetics.

Wow, that church looks absolutely stunning! But for me, attending church is more about finding spiritual fulfillment and connecting with a community of like-minded individuals. Have you heard of first church love? I stumbled upon it recently and found it to be a great resource for exploring different churches and finding one that feels like home. I found this churh online, and if you are also interested, here's the link: https://firstchurchlove.com. As someone new to this forum, I thought I'd share the link in case it might be helpful to others as well. Happy exploring!

Last edited:
51105759747_3671903747_h.jpg

Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Heritage Council of WA describes the chapel thus:

‘In 1920 Monsignor John Hawes designed the Chapel for the Irish Dominican Sisters who had come to Yalgoo at his invitation and lived in a timber convent school overlooking the town. Hawes assisted a local builder, H.C. Jenny, with the construction of the chapel. Completed in 1922 the chapel, which had fallen into bad repair, was restored during the 1980s by the Shire of Yalgoo.

The Dominican Convent Chapel has high historic significance for its role in the religious outlook of the local community. The chapel has further significance for its close association with Priest Architect Monsignor John Hawes. The building is a prominent landmark feature of the town and nearby surrounds, commanding an elevated location.’

It is kept behind a chain-link fence now so the options to photograph it were limited when we visited.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 38.

52861567269_68233e1412_h.jpg

The Chapelle Sainte Eugénie by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Our walking of the Chemin de Stevenson has finished. We have now arrived in Nîmes courtesy of the French virtually free bus and train services.

Walking to the Arènes de Nîmes we came across the Chapelle Sainte Eugénie, the oldest religious building in Nîmes. The historical records record it being first mentioned in 956. The front of the building, inspired by Romanesque art, was rebuilt in cement in the nineteenth century, so not so old in this photo.