Scenic Show: Clouds

Last night the clouds nearly ruined any chance of getting a shot of the Aurora, so I thought they should be thanked here in public for attempting to get out of the way.

EDIT: I have updated the photo to the most recent edit, using some of the new features in Lightroom.

FARMHOUSE AURORA.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Very nice. The clouds are actually a nice addition. I was bummed. We had 100% overcast last night. Watching the Kp index and oval online it looks like we missed a heck of a show.

Thank you, most of the evening looked more like this, but the clouds do look incredible and I just can't get enough of how good my neighbors house looks in this lighting. I got permission to photograph their house yesterday afternoon once I saw the predicted Kp numbers. I'm going to offer them one of these shots printed and framed.

I'm kicking myself for that last photo being at ISO 200, I should have left it at 400 or 800 and 10 seconds exposure but I was experimenting and then the bursts of light hit and I didn't think to change it back. Here's one of the earlier shots at ISO 400 that I think really show the detail in the clouds.

FARMHOUSE CLOUDS WITH AURORA.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First use of cheapo CPL(kenko) through bedroom window...don't really use filters generally. View attachment 386958
That looks OK, Scott. I assume that the keystone distortion is a characteristic of the lens, not the CPL?

Kenko made some brilliant stuff and some absolute junk, back in the olden days (1970-80s). Maybe they just had stuff made by multiple suppliers with their trademark back then?

That looks OK, Scott. I assume that the keystone distortion is a characteristic of the lens, not the CPL?

Kenko made some brilliant stuff and some absolute junk, back in the olden days (1970-80s). Maybe they just had stuff made by multiple suppliers with their trademark back then?
Hi John
Yeah I guess it's the panny lens on olympus body..plus our window height is higher than houses below..that might affect perspective somewhat?

Back