Animals Show "Cows"

First, thanks.
Second, sort of.
Not a 'working property' per se. We are part-timers (full-time work / a lot of commuting / part-time 'farmers') ;) So we sit just far enough away from town to not see anyone, to have around 120 acres of good granite and basalt land to run some cattle (all pets, no meat, no market) and horses. The latter are mainly rescues. The other half finds them when they are THIS close to 'being dogged' (waiting at the abattoir for processing into dog meat) and transports them home. Brings them back into shape and teaches them manners and rides them (jeez I make it sound so simple). The theory is to sell them on, but this phase has yet to materialise….oh except the last rescue, Stella, who is being 'leased' by a friend.

So it's a little fun and a lot work. But don't think I'd have it any other way…..well except maybe the commute and the full-time salaryman gig! :dash2: …if only there was money enough in cow portraiture.

Sorry to disappoint Dave - I'm less John Wayne and more Billy Crystal :blush:

Thanks for sharing.

I too worked on a part time ranch, (if it can be called part time).

The owners were family friends. The owners had been ranchers for several generations. The current owner grew up on the ranch, but went off to school and became a family therapist who kept the ranch alive for "old times sake. "

My Dad knew the Dad, (not from therapy) , he did construction on their home and I went with him. The kids were my age and one of the girls who I kind of liked, (don't many stories start that way), invited me to join the family Fall drive. I went, enjoyed it and returned every Spring and Fall.

Unfortunately at this point the Father was getting older and the kids as well. They had a discussion and no one was interested in the time and effort involved, so they decided to sell. They kept a few of the horses, but that was about it.

In America, we have egrets such as these that we call "Cattle Egrets". According to a good website called All About Birds, part of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:
The short, thick-necked Cattle Egret spends most of its time in fields rather than streams. It forages at the feet of grazing cattle, head bobbing with each step, or rides on their backs to pick at ticks. This stocky white heron has yellow plumes on its head and neck during breeding season. Originally from Africa, it found its way to North America in 1953 and quickly spread across the continent. Elsewhere in the world, it forages alongside camels, ostriches, rhinos, and tortoises—as well as farmers’ tractors.

I'm very fond of cows and whenever I see one "up close and personal" I vow that I shall become a vegetarian.

Thanks so much for your photo, Mike!

Thanks for the explanation. I suspected something like that but found it difficult to believe egrets were doing this. Egrets I've seen in the US are usually eating fish and crabs.

Back