• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum, join now for free! Welcome! 欢迎! स्वागत हे! ようこそ!

Show "Dandelions"

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2010
Down Under
C'mon we all have ventured to snap a dandelion puff or two in our day. You know the one, the classic "here's how good my macro/close-up is" shot. Well here's a chance to bring them out to see the light of day.

Well I confess to never tiring of the patterns and textures of our natural world - and I think the puff-balls are quite the phenomenon. So here's one to kick us off....taken with the Sigma DP2s and AML-1 close-up filter. Simple B+W conversion.

View attachment 34022
Obligatory dandelion shot by stillshunter, on Flickr

BBW

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
Thank you Mark for starting this thread on the ubiquitous dandelion! Yours reminds me of a geodesic dome - although much more etherial. We don't have any dandelions, yet, we've just hit crocus stage. I promise to take a photograph when they emerge.:biggrin:

As much as many consider them weeds, they do have such sunny dispositions.

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2010
Down Under
Agree wholeheartedly with you BB. They do have a nice effect on the viewer. I especially like their 'gone to seed' form. It takes me back to a childhood where you could not help but rejoice in the act of blowing them and watching the heads catch the light as they scattered through the air. I suppose each of us is a little responsible for the spread of them then :redface: Though what an excellent evolutionary mechanism....the one's that appeal to curious children the most, thrive, globally!

So I wouldn't consider them a weed, just utterly successful. Though they do sometimes get in the way of butterflies....as this random photo demonstrates :wink:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Heavy Butterfly? by stillshunter, on Flickr

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
It is a shame it’s considered a weed!
My neighbors consider them weeds and seem to be in competition to see how close they can get their lawns to resemble golf course greens. I view them more as lawn ornaments and let them go, especially as I don't like using chemicals on the grass because of our dogs. I'm pretty sure some of my neighbors hate me. 🤣

Luke

Super Moderator
Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Kevin, you're welcome in our neighborhood. We have a couple of anti-weed zealots that hire companies to spray toxic stuff all over their lawn (and while they post warning to stay off the grass for a day...and the smell is truly toxic, the guys they pay minimum wage to spray the lawns wear NO breathing protection). I really want to film these poor suckers and share some info with the local news. If anyone really thought about it.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom