Show - Fisheye photos

I read through this thread and a few others and decided to try Hugin for defishing this shot I took awhile back at the Old Folsom Powerhouse main switchboard:

4Q213470-topazAI152-sharpen.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Quick and dirty defish (since I don't really know what I'm doing anyway):

4Q213470-topazAI152-sharpen-hugin.jpg

I'd wanted a fisheye lens since I was 15 years old, reading the Spiratone ads in the back of magazines. A couple summers ago I bid $200 on a used Sigma 4.5mm 180 deg. circular fisheye lens. And I won. Oops.

It was crazy hard to use. I had to pay attention to my feet and belly. Had to develop a fisheye stance. The whole notion of crazy lines is what you'd expect, but there's so much real estate to keep track of. And no cropping available.

I think I took it out 3 times before I decided that it wouldn't take long to get a reputation as the 'fisheye guy.' I couldn't have that, so I sold it. But that lens taught me a lot about ultrawide photography. I still find 16mm hard to wrangle, but I'm better at it for having fought with the 4.5.

Barrel Distortion
LE_16-8676.jpg

The day the lens came in the mail, I chucked it on a body and took it out in the backyard to look through it. I shot this ladder straight on leaned against the house in a corner with a chimeny. At the time, just something to look at. When I got it in post, I found a carpenter's square for a 180 deg. circular fisheye. Shows what all the lines do. Showed me what to expect in the field.

LE_08-8147.jpg

LE_16-8589.jpg

I'd wanted a fisheye lens since I was 15 years old, reading the Spiratone ads in the back of magazines. A couple summers ago I bid $200 on a used Sigma 4.5mm 180 deg. circular fisheye lens. And I won. Oops.

It was crazy hard to use. I had to pay attention to my feet and belly. Had to develop a fisheye stance. The whole notion of crazy lines is what you'd expect, but there's so much real estate to keep track of. And no cropping available.

I think I took it out 3 times before I decided that it wouldn't take long to get a reputation as the 'fisheye guy.' I couldn't have that, so I sold it. But that lens taught me a lot about ultrawide photography. I still find 16mm hard to wrangle, but I'm better at it for having fought with the 4.5.

Barrel Distortion
View attachment 423224

The day the lens came in the mail, I chucked it on a body and took it out in the backyard to look through it. I shot this ladder straight on leaned against the house in a corner with a chimeny. At the time, just something to look at. When I got it in post, I found a carpenter's square for a 180 deg. circular fisheye. Shows what all the lines do. Showed me what to expect in the field.

View attachment 423222

View attachment 423223

Cool shots.
My favorite is the middle one - the one of the ladder. Yep, it's extreme - but somehow the crazy fisheye angles seem to really show off the ladder in... well, in a new a different way.
Makes me want to get out my only current fisheye, the inexpensive fixed f/8 plastic pancake Olympus. Not quite as extreme as your 4.5mm... but fun nonetheless.
Thanks for posting these!

Back