Nature Show "Flowers"

PA174389.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not at all. I tend to see experts suggest with these kind of images that one should crop in a bit which I don't always agree with. Yes, I often focus in to the insides of a flower, but I also do think it's important and relevant to capture what's around the subject as with these images.

It's part of how I view my landscapes in general, trying to get the context of the flower as well. Like the way these surround an almost invisible stairway down to a river in front of a dam. The flowers are important to the image but OTOH I am not making a portrait of an individual blossom...

DSC_1776.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walter, what you do with that Olympus combo is really, really impressive - in our haste to appreciate the new and amazing, we often overlook the proven ...

M.
Thanks a lot, Matt, for the compliment. One advantage if sticking to your gear and not permanently changing it is that you come to know all its possibilities (and limitations).
It's the same with my Taylor 812C: 25 years of playing it have developped such beautiful overtones that musicians with new instruments of double the price often find it hard to believe.
http://macwee50zwei.bplaced.net/2004 Walter Erhardt/WEE PICKINGS CD/20 Wonderful Tonight.mp3

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Matt, for the compliment. One advantage if sticking to your gear and not permanently changing it is that you come to know all its possibilities (and limitations).
It's the same with my Taylor 812C: 25 years of playing it have developped such beautiful overtones that musicians with new instruments of double the price often find it hard to believe.
Wonderful playing - thanks for sharing. Makes me think that when this terrible crisis is over, we really should try and have a nice little jam somewhere ... But of course, that's wishful thinking for the time being. Would be a grand thing to do, though ...

And yes, there's a lot of merit to what you say; settling on whatever piece of gear helps you focus on the craft at hand and allows you to really get the most out of it. It happened to me with saxophones: I have what I want, and I have what I need. It's actually a great feeling - you know that if you pick up your instrument, it'll work as desired.

It hasn't happened with cameras yet for me though - at least not in all respects. The Leicas aren't going anywhere ... though it appears I'm done buying lenses for the M mount - it's all covered. And in the last couple of weeks, I'm starting to hope that the Z system may, at some point, provide for all my needs and purposes. But we're certainly not there yet.

So, I'll be digging out the 12-40mm in the next couple of days and weeks; it's a lens that I've so far never grown tired of, even though it always felt slightly big on the smaller :mu43: bodies. But thankfully, Olympus provides for that - with additional grips (unfortunately, the Panasonic "griplet" for the GX9 doesn't really help). And though I think the considerably smaller and lighter 12-45mm f/4 and the E-M5 III are a fantastic match in most circumstances, the additional stop of light gathering capability does come in handy during winter (when I'm finishing my workdays, it's already getting dark outside these days - and it's only November). And the 12-40mm does a considerably better job at subject isolation, too - while keeping sharpness very high (though not quite as high as the 12-45mm). A groundbreaking lens in its day, and still a keeper. For a while, it more or less "made" :mu43: for me ...

M.

http://macwee50zwei.bplaced.net/2004 Walter Erhardt/WEE PICKINGS CD/20 Wonderful Tonight.mp3
Beautiful playing, Walter.

Back