Show "Framed"

View attachment 404267

"Bread à porter" is actually a bakery chain - but mainly, it's one of the more ludicrous puns I've seen in a while, to be honest ("prêt à porter" is French for "ready to wear" .
In French porter also means 'carry'. So prêt à porter is ready to carry out, or, in UK, a take-away, which is food purchased but taken elsewhere to be eaten. In US, same thing is a carry-out!

Last edited:
In French porter also means 'carry'. So prêt à porter is ready to carry out, or, in UK, a take-away, which is food purchased but taken elsewhere to be eaten. In US, same thing is a carry-out!
That's not how I learned it - and I just re-checked, so I'd be pretty amazed if the French actually understood it this way. But as a "false friend" usage, it's as good as any, so it makes quite a bit of sense. I guess it's more like a pun, though, so, much less sophisticated or "real", just "sound-alike". They do this all the time in adverstisments or when naming businesses here in Switzerland - one of the more famous ones of those basdardisations is "Shopville", the underground mall of Zürich main station.

I'm not saying your explanation is stupid, or even completely wrong - it's just definitely not what it used to mean, and according to the online dictionaries I use it still carries the same meaning (and only that) in French: "ready to wear". As a loanword or simply a mis-translation, it works, as those usually do. However, "for take away" is "à emporter", and "prêt á emporter" is "ready for takeaway".

What Germans (and Swiss!) people make out to be English is usually a lot worse (like "Handy" taken to mean "mobile phone"), so, no offense meant in any way ...

M.

2307-933 Pen F-17.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back