Bugs Show 'Insect'

OC230332_jpeg.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nother rework of a previous image in the new ON1 2024.
Tried upscaling as the head on this was only 2mm max long
Its a hard trade off. I tried using a Raynox to get higher magnification, but found the loss of DoF too great compared to loss of quality of a big crop.

Have not worked out how to stack hand held at night yet for better results

P9222060-Upscaled 200 [6088x5406].jpg

nother rework of a previous image in the new ON1 2024.
Tried upscaling as the head on this was only 2mm max long
Its a hard trade off. I tried using a Raynox to get higher magnification, but found the loss of DoF too great compared to loss of quality of a big crop.

Have not worked out how to stack hand held at night yet for better results

View attachment 441250
You could try in camera focus stacking using the Olympus FLM-3, it's a very small and lightweight flash that doesn't add much weight but is powerful enough at this short distance, especially at night. At f 11 there should be enough DoF to be able to use Focus Differential number 3 and shoot fewer shots (3 to 5 maybe) and make the process fast enough for hand held.

1000013196.jpg

THE FLY. (15 images hand held focus bracket with on camera flash, stacked in PhotoShop, cropped for less negative space)

1000013198.jpg

Not sure what you are .... But pretty. (I used only 6 out of the 15 hand held focus bracket with on camera flash because of motion blur, stacked in PhotoShop, it gave me a pretty decent result still thanks to the inherited DoF advantage of Micro Four Thirds)

1000013193.jpg

The red eyes. (15 hand held focus bracket shots with on camera flash, I use focus differential of 1 out of 10 ... If peeps are interested in knowing which focus differential I use please reply to this post and I will add that info for each image in the future)

1000013202.jpg

I shot this little fellow many many times trying to get as many success as I could. Also because I noticed an interesting (but logical and reasonable) behaviour where it would freeze it's movement every time it was exposed to large amounts of light (like my flash or the daylight sipping through the foliage) and start moving after a while of no extra light exposure. It was a very good and playful situation for me to do hand held focus bracketing and testing different power outputs of the flash as well as the Depth of Field levels at 1:1 magnification. I will look for these little bugs on the future whenever I need practicing or testing light.

1000013205.jpg

I love being able to test a wider aperture to get a more artistic impression then always trying to get as much in focus of the little big as possible.

Back