Bugs Show 'Insect'

I give you the delightfully named Yellow Dung Fly (Scathophaga stercoraria). Shot in my garden this afternoon.

Laowa 90mm f2.8 Apo @ f9.5.

yellow-dung-fly.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Although this is mainly an insect habitat, there is a tiny multilegged creature just a bit above the left intersection.

View attachment 471205
Steve, I had an infestation of either fire ants, or jack jumpers living under the coving at the end of our pool.

Geez, they were aggressive and had a very nasty sting!

Over about three years, I have finally managed to kill off the colony using chlordane. I know, it's been banned in Australia and most of the world for decades, but sometimes the greater good is to get rid of notifiable, invasive, imported species.

Fire ants. Don't miss those. Grew up with them in southern Louisiana.

Funny story:

On May 3rd, 1978 the New Orleans area received some 18" (45 cm) of rain in a 90 minute period....

I was in college at the time and it took me several hours to make the normal 30 minute trip home.

There was about 12" (30 cm) of water in the front yard when I got home. We lived in a heavily wooded area with a LOT of fire ants.

All the ants had floated up in the water and were swarming around the queen keeping her dry.

So I got a can of gasoline and doused each one of the floating nests and then set them on fire.

It was very satisfactory watching the little buggars who had inflicted so much pain on me over years burn....

Steve, I had an infestation of either fire ants, or jack jumpers living under the coving at the end of our pool.

Geez, they were aggressive and had a very nasty sting!

Over about three years, I have finally managed to kill off the colony using chlordane. I know, it's been banned in Australia and most of the world for decades, but sometimes the greater good is to get rid of notifiable, invasive, imported species.
These aren’t that aggressive. The college I work at has brick walkways, so we see these little circular piles when they dig between the cracks. When I lived in Austin, TX, however, I grew (too) familiar with fire ants. The Virginia varieties are more gentile.

Fire ants. Don't miss those. Grew up with them in southern Louisiana.

Funny story:

On May 3rd, 1978 the New Orleans area received some 18" (45 cm) of rain in a 90 minute period....

I was in college at the time and it took me several hours to make the normal 30 minute trip home.

There was about 12" (30 cm) of water in the front yard when I got home. We lived in a heavily wooded area with a LOT of fire ants.

All the ants had floated up in the water and were swarming around the queen keeping her dry.

So I got a can of gasoline and doused each one of the floating nests and then set them on fire.

It was very satisfactory watching the little buggars who had inflicted so much pain on me over years burn....
They didn't name them fire ants for nothing.

1000017889.jpg

Beetle drinking from a drop of rain water. Need to shoot off camera flash to get the right angle and keep the water drop more reflective. Having the flash on top even with diffuser turns the water to transparent to be seen well enough

1000017891.jpg

Paederus Littoralis.

1000017859.jpg

Trying to eat the vegetarian option but it didn't like it.

1000017892.jpg

It's quite an interesting looking creature to photograph.

1000017857.jpg

Spiderman called, he wants his method of seducing women upside-down back.

1000017874.jpg

The ugly one in the insect family.

1000017884.jpg

When you are so hairy that bugs use you as a climbing course.

1000017866.jpg

This one was quite disturbing, I don't know if it's giving live birth or not.

1000017877.jpg

I'm not sure what this little fellow is, extremely small (a few millimeters) and fast

1000017883.jpg

It doesn't look like a beetle, having soft body but with chunky hair and tini tiny eyes.

1000017882.jpg

It was running around the leaf almost like an ant.

1000017874.jpg

A Aphid or a Green Lacewing (more likely the latter very fat from eating a former)

1000017880.jpg

A small fly at 1:1 magnification.

1000017879.jpg

The same fly at 4.5x magnification.

1000017867.jpg
Time for the spider shots, I put them in spoilers for those who dislike spiders.

1000017895.jpg
Spidera can levitate. His name is Spidey Blaine.

1000017871.jpg
Spidey 69: Under Cover

1000017893.jpg
A shining star.

Is the 1/200th the maximum limit fo flash sync with the mechanical shutter on your Panasonic?
In shutter priority it's 1/320, manual (I believe) 1/250. I prefer 1/160-1/200 to try to retain some ambient light. Shutter speed and aperture remain set - I change the ISO if my histogram is too far left or right.

I'm using a completely manual lens and manual (little Meike) flash set on 1/64 - 1/128. Just for a bit of fill-in flash. Saves messing around with gigantic hat shaped diffusers :)

In shutter priority it's 1/320, manual (I believe) 1/250. I prefer 1/160-1/200 to try to retain some ambient light. Shutter speed and aperture remain set - I change the ISO if my histogram is too far left or right.

I'm using a completely manual lens and manual (little Meike) flash set on 1/64 - 1/128. Just for a bit of fill-in flash. Saves messing around with gigantic hat shaped diffusers :)
I know the feeling. But I do love the results of using the "Hat". I have bought the Godox X Nano wireles flash trigger so I can use the flash off camera to be able to get closer (being smaller and all).
I haven't checked if the shutter has a different sync speed in shutter priority, in manual and aperture priority it's 1/250th mechanical shutter and 1/100th electronic shutter.

So far I haven't tried different exposures for the background and ambient light. I find that even when the flash overpowers the ambient light there's still enough exposure room to recover the background at ISO 200 to 3.200.
I usually have ISO set to 200 or 800-1.600 if it's very dark and I use the flash exposure to dictate the histogram levels. I don't mind shooting full power in single shots but I do need to lower the power to 1/16th at minimum to keep up with 15 shots focus stacking.

Back