Bugs Show 'Insect'

_DSC3819e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC3823e.jpg

Monarch counts in 2021 were much higher (~50x) than the critically low census of 2020, but the decline is still of grave concern.
That is good news. I hope that they can recover, but it is pretty dire for them. I remember as a kid in Utah seeing monarchs all the time. Often we would find monarch chrysalis in our yard. Most years now, in Idaho, I don't see a single monarch all year.

Back in 2017, I snapped this in Avila Beach (near Pismo):

PA260573.JPG

I emailed them the image and info and they replied:

Thank you very much for reporting this Monarch and taking such a great photo of it! As you obviously realize we are tracking Monarch migration and your Monarch has traveled the greatest distance since we began tagging in 2012! !! This Monarch was reared and released on Sep 3 by a citizen scientist in Redmond which is just north of Seattle. So to get to Avila beach it flew at least 865 miles! Quite remarkable! Can you describe the circumstances of how you saw it? In a backyard? along the road? It appears to be feeding on Lantana.

I run a Facebook page Monarch Butterflies in the Pacific Northwest on which I will be reporting this recovery. This is a very significant recovery and an important data point in our research! Congratulations!

Thanks again for reporting it!!

Best Regards
Dr David G James
Washington State University

Monarch counts in 2021 were much higher (~50x) than the critically low census of 2020, but the decline is still of grave concern.
Good to know. Last couple of years I've seen very few (only two last year).

View attachment 288741

I reported my two monarchs to Welcome to Journey North which appears to be connected to the University of Wisconsin, Addison.

View attachment 288741

What a great story and really cool find.

I did find a monarch last Thanksgiving in Terlingua, Texas. Eastern flyway, though.

PB240073-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Colorado Hairstreak, Mueller Park, Utah. In August I took my kids and wife to visit my Dad who was living in Salt Lake City. He had a doctor's appointment in the morning, so we had a little time to kill before we could meet up with him. I'd read that colorado hairstreaks were easy to find in July at Mueller Park by Bountiful, Utah, so we stopped there on the way. My middle daughter is really into photographing butterflies with me and we were fortunate in finding some of these that morning. My dad had been in declining health the last month or so and the doctor's hadn't yet determined what was going on. I told my daughter that it would be a special thing if we found these colorado hairstreaks on the last day that the kids say him alive. As it turned out, that was the case. He was diagnosed with advanced, metastasized cancer a couple of weeks later and died 10 days after that. My daughter makes a calendar each year of her butterfly photos and for 2022 she put her picture of a colorado hairstreak in the month of my dad's birth.

P8160056-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Back