Bugs Show 'Insect'

Spicebush swallowtail (Papilio troilus). August, 2022.

_8030966_DxOsdcLM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I love it,the bendy stem on top makes it feel very elegant. Do you think if you could crop the leaf on the bottom left out of the picture it would make the composition stronger and simpler?
Interesting that you say that. I played with that crop forever. I left it there because I liked the lower part of the visible stem and the left/pointing leaf. I’ll try what you suggest and post it. It’s still the same picture, right?
Here you go:
bflyzinnia2crop2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that you say that. I played with that crop forever. I left it there because I liked the lower part of the visible stem and the left/pointing leaf. I’ll try what you suggest and post it. It’s still the same picture, right?
Here you go:
View attachment 329167
That's so gorgeous. It's a picture that would definitely live on my walls as a large print. Thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration.

PS. Every time I look at it the first thing that pops into my mind is this:
1660331019653.png

(I know this is pure semantics but the composition feels a lot like the flower was dancing to attract the butterfly and you got the perfect moment of their encounter ... Or maybe I need to have another conversation with my psychiatrist about my mind going on holiday without request :p ).

Last edited:
Experimenting with a new combination. Really irritating that the iso was still on 640 :-(. The short focal distance is just incredible (just over 1m i comparison to a FF (I am sure someone will dispute this :-D ) These photos taken using the PD travel tripod and Platyball Head. Single shot - no photostacking

20220809-14-57-04_P1108550.jpg
20220809-15-34-52_P1108641.jpg

Experimenting with a new combination. Really irritating that the iso was still on 640 :-(. The short focal distance is just incredible (just over 1m i comparison to a FF (I am sure someone will dispute this :-D ) These photos taken using the PD travel tripod and Platyball Head. Single shot - no photostacking

View attachment 329274View attachment 329275
I think those shots look great, especially the bee. I wouldn't have known that it was ISO 640 without you saying it. How was the platyball head? I've read mixed reviews on it with some complaining that it is fidley.

Back