Bugs Show 'Insect'

Pearl crescent butterfly (Phyciodes tharos) [I think] on lantana flowers. July, 2022.

_7300905_DxOsdcLM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I went out today for my first outing with my Z9 to see if I could track butterflies in flight. I failed miserably. I don't know if there is a AF-C mode that will work for bugs and even if there is my technique will need a lot of improving.

I did get this one image of a female great spangled fritillary, cropped quite a bit.

DSC_0045%201-X3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I went out today for my first outing with my Z9 to see if I could track butterflies in flight. I failed miserably. I don't know if there is a AF-C mode that will work for bugs and even if there is my technique will need a lot of improving.

I did get this one image of a female great spangled fritillary, cropped quite a bit.

View attachment 331130
Dan, has it got a 'bird' mode? That might work.

Dan, has it got a 'bird' mode? That might work.
I tried with animal tracking on, did not work too well. I don't see something specifically for birds. There are a lot of different auto focus settings and it will take me some time to figure out which work best for me. I will practice birding soon and I think that getting those setting correct will be easier as there is a lot of information on the internet about which ones work well for birds. Flying insects is a niche.

I am excited about the camera look forward to using it more. I may need to do some hand and wrist exercises to increase my stamina for holding the thing while taking pictures 💪

I may need to do some hand and wrist exercises to increase my stamina for holding the thing while taking pictures 💪
OUCH! Not for this little black duck then ...

I looked at some Nikon mirrorless models (Z5 and Z6) at Ted's when I ordered my 8-25 24, and again when I picked it up. [Edit: Whoops ... ]

"Almost the same size" and "Just a little bit bigger" than my E-M1 MkII were definitely not phrases that sprang readily to mind ...

Last edited:
Back