Bugs Show 'Insect'

DSC_2376.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

T

Those are fantastic! Did you focus stack them?

Thank you. Not stacked, but judging by the number of shots I binned, I probably could have done :)

I have one routine for the Olympus + 60mm macro which gives me bucketloads of depth of field at about f8-9.5, but these were one of many practice runs at close to full aperture with the Irix.

Depth of field is wafer thin and I'm finding it impractical to hand-hold at high magnifications unless I stop it down to f5.6/8, and TBH, if I'm going to stop it down, I may as well use the Olympus, or the Sigma 105. I used a monopod which helped a lot - and the hoverfly has a flat profile, which helped even more.

Nice, Nature is amazing. But your forget. Millions of years of different variations. We are just dust in the wind. Heck if it wasn't for that meteor, a few years ago we wouldn't even be the dominant species.

Just kidding Richard, keep up the good work. Btw why a MeerKat as your Avatar?

Nice, Nature is amazing. But your forget. Millions of years of different variations. We are just dust in the wind. Heck if it wasn't for that meteor, a few years ago we wouldn't even be the dominant species.

Just kidding Richard, keep up the good work. Btw why a MeerKat as your Avatar?
My old avatar was a picture of me sat in a black office chair. The back edges were visible either side of my head.

I posted this meerkat picture on the other site and one of the guys said it looked like me. He was right, it looked more like me than I do, so I've used it for everything ever since :)

green sweat bee, 95 % certain
Yes it is indeed one of the green sweat bees. Specifically, it is one of the Striped Sweat Bees (Genus Agapostemon). In many species of Agapostemon, the females are all green and the males have a striped abdomen. Your bee is not one of those species as it is a female as it is carrying pollen on its hind legs (only females have specialized hairs for carrying pollen) and it has a striped abdomen.
Here is a female Texas Striped Sweat Bee (Agapostemon texanus) I photographed last April.

Agapostemon.JPG

Last edited:
@rich
What a view of a tiny bee, spectacular!
Glad you like it. I think the pattern on the eye is particularly neat. This bee is about 11mm long so not much smaller the Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) whose workers range from 12 to 16mm.

The Fairy Bees (Genus Perdita) have some of the smallest bees in the world. Here is pair of Rhus Fairy Bee (Perdita rhois). The male is the smaller one in the back. Typically males range from 3.5 to 4 mm; females from 4.5 to 5mm.

PerditaPair2.jpg

Back