Bugs Show 'Insect'

Just upgraded to a Pringles can diffuser/strobe gizmo and did a Frankentube thing to my macro lens

23042045-topazAI131-denoise-sharpen.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excellent.
Thank you!

Added:

I wanted to try the "light pipe" theory of the Pringles can gizmo, and Safeway had Pringles on sale this week, so a bit of (real!) duct tape and slicing later, I came up with this. I originally tried it with a "regular" mini-softbox diffuser over the end, but that lost too much light. I got the bright idea of using diffuser spray on the original Pringles plastic replaceable can lid (I bought that spray in 1987 and I'm dang well going to get my money's worth!) and that worked great:

20230424_162844-01 (Medium).jpg

I fooled around with this rig using my mostly-neglected-these-days 70-300 zoom, but I found I got the best results around 85mm. That gave me the brainstorm to use my 60mm macro with a 1.4x teleconverter, for which I wanted a 16mm extension tube to make sure the TC didn't hit the back of the lens:

20230424_162905 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

Added:

I wanted to try the "light pipe" theory of the Pringles can gizmo, and Safeway had Pringles on sale this week, so a bit of (real!) duct tape and slicing later, I came up with this. I originally tried it with a "regular" mini-softbox diffuser over the end, but that lost too much light. I got the bright idea of using diffuser spray on the original Pringles plastic replaceable can lid (I bought that spray in 1987 and I'm dang well going to get my money's worth!) and that worked great:

View attachment 383071

I fooled around with this rig using my mostly-neglected-these-days 70-300 zoom, but I found I got the best results around 85mm. That gave me the brainstorm to use my 60mm macro with a 1.4x teleconverter, for which I wanted a 16mm extension tube to make sure the TC didn't hit the back of the lens:

View attachment 383076
Well done, CaGs.

I'm a great believer in the sewer pipe school of astronomical attachments myself. e.g. dew shield on my 80mm refractor:

_3201559_E_Web_SH.jpg

_3201557_E_Web_SH.jpg

"Lens cap" is a 100mm sewer pipe cap. Gap at bottom allows air circulation around the front element in use, and allows the dew shield to slide back around the optical tube assembly carrier when stowed.

Well done, CaGs.

I'm a great believer in the sewer pipe school of astronomical attachments myself. e.g. dew shield on my 80mm refractor:

View attachment 383122

View attachment 383123

"Lens cap" is a 100mm sewer pipe cap. Gap at bottom allows air circulation around the front element in use, and allows the dew shield to slide back around the optical tube assembly carrier when stowed.
Ha! Two years ago I made an entire reconfigurable blind/hide from PVC pipe, camo fabric, and spring clamps.

Thank you!

Added:

View attachment 383071

View attachment 383076
Cool! Thanks for the photos. (MacGyver was a photographer, wasn’t he?)

I can see I really need to step up my game if I'm going to post any bug shots here.
Here's my meager effort from this morning when I just grabbed my camera for some quick shots this morning.
DSC05821 (2).JPG

Mind you, I was just trying to take some pictures and the bee happened to be there, honest. Made my day that I was able to get the shot in somewhat reasonable fashion. SOOC jpeg except for cropping. Thanks for letting me post here.

Back