Bugs Show 'Insect'

Lovely shots, CaGs.

And ... Well?
Thank you! And...well, I didn't want to pour my heart out if nobody was interested 😺

Anyway, I've been trying different techniques to get more in-focus keepers when shooting bees. Recently I made a Pringles diffuser for better light, but my new macro lens is still a bit short (60mm + 1.4xTC) for ideal distance. I used to use my 70-300, but I'm trying to wean myself off that because I'd rather sell it. So the other day after I was done chasing birds I said to myself "What if I treated bees like birds?" and decided to try my 150-600 zoom (which I use for probably 98% of everything anyway)...and I suddenly got a yuge increase in sharp and good shots (also using bird detect CAF!).

I guess there's something to be said for muscle memory, but it also let me stand well back from the bees. I'm not the least scared of them, but now I understand they've been avoiding me. It's a bit heavy for this kind of work, but I'm also experimenting with an old manual focus Vivitar (I know, I know...) 135/f2.8 + 1.4xTC + 16mm extension tube + Nikon -> Fuji X adapter (inspired in part by Brian).

Last edited:
Thank you! And...well, I didn't want to pour my heart out if nobody was interested 😺

Anyway, I've been trying different techniques to get more in-focus keepers when shooting bees. Recently I made a Pringles diffuser for better light, but my new macro lens is still a bit short (60mm + 1.4xTC) for ideal distance. I used to use my 70-300, but I'm trying to wean myself off that because I'd rather sell it. So the other day after I was done chasing birds I said to myself "What if I treated bees like birds?" and decided to try my 150-600 zoom (which I use for probably 98% of everything anyway)...and I suddenly got a yuge increase in sharp and good shots (also using bird detect CAF!).

I guess there's something to be said for muscle memory, but it also let me stand well back from the bees. I'm not the least scared of them, but now I understand they've been avoiding me. It's a bit heavy for this kind of work, but I'm also experimenting with an old manual focus Vivitar (I know, I know...) 135/f2.8 + 1.4xTC + 16mm extension tube + Nikon -> Fuji X adapter.
I was also interested and your shots are fabulous.

Several years ago a few Mason Bees showed up in our breeze way. Then I added the tubes, this year almost 100 filled, and the busy bees are still working. Very non-agressive,and very polite.
MasonBee.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back