Nature Show Landscape

82260013.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
View attachment 187502

45658167161_676696524f_k.jpg
Restormel Castle - View from the Parapet- Lostwithiel, Cornwall, UK - UK2016-104
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Restormel Castle or Kastel Rostorrmel lies by the River Fowey near Lostwithiel in Cornwall, England, UK. It is one of the four chief Norman castles of Cornwall. The castle is notable for its perfectly circular design. Although once a luxurious residence of the Earl of Cornwall, the castle was all but ruined by the 16th century. It was briefly reoccupied and fought over during the English Civil War but was subsequently abandoned.

Located on a spur of high ground overlooking the River Fowey, Restormel Castle is an unusually well-preserved example of a circular shell keep, a rare type of fortification built during a short period in the 12th and early 13th centuries. Only 71 examples are known in England and Wales, of which Restormel Castle is the most intact of all.

More interesting details can be found at Restormel Castle - Wikipedia.

We actually spent a bit of time exploring the Castle which turned out to be more interesting than the first impressions suggested.

View attachment 189509The Duchy of Cornwall - Lostwithiel, Cornwall, UK - UK2016-105 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Western District Office of the Duchy of Cornwall is in Restormel Manor in Lostwithiel, Cornwall. I assume I was looking out from the castle over the Duchy of Cornwall when I took this photo.
The Duchies of Cornwall (Prince Charles) and Lancaster (Queen Elizabeth) are actually very scattered and piecemeal land holdings, with property all over the UK. There may well be a concentration of Charlie’s property in Cornwall. Where I live in South Cheshire there are loads of farms and other tenanted houses owned by the Duchy of Lancaster.

Back