Nature Show Landscape

Yes, this was still quite early in the day.
Two people, brothers I bet, were still working the site.
And indeed, every patch of grass gets eventually mowed. Hay for the cattle in the winter.
Very interesting that it's full of wildflowers. Perhaps one of the reasons the local milk is really special.

If I'm not mistaken, you can just make out one of those devices on the slope to the right of the trees.

View attachment 291092
Interesting.
That bloke uptop looks like he could be leaning into the swing of a scythe.
He's got a rather irregular cut line coming down hill.
I see the lower bloke is leaning on a pitchfork.
Hard yakka (work) as we say here.

P2080005-standard.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

off from the road to Lake Mackenzie, Great Western Tiers, Tasmania
looking towards Fisher Bluff high peak in centre left, Little Fisher River valley

The mountains are dolerite which dominates much of our rugged Tasmanian highlands
This is a typical scene in our highlands, and it only gets better as you get amongst it
P2110382pe1-Dred.jpg

Emigrant Lake, in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, just outside of Ashland, Oregon.

View attachment 293541
Miguel, you know I rarely "request" or advise things like that (creativity is a very personal thing), but:

Try a square(?)* crop in black and white, picking up the leading line/curve in the edges ... exquisite.

I already love the shot as it is, but pushing it towards abstraction works even better for me.

M.

*I didn't dare try it myself, maybe a 5:4 ratio works better ...

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, Matt, but here is a (relatively) quick take on your suggestion of a cropped, black & white version of the same.

GX1_Feb18_22_Emigrant_Lake(telephoto-bnw).jpg

I think my first instinct is that I prefer the un-cropped colour version, but I'm going to continue giving the whole thing some more thought. And thank you, again, for the thoughtful suggestion.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, Matt, but here is a (relatively) quick take on your suggestion of a cropped, black & white version of the same.

View attachment 293595

I think my first instinct is that I prefer the un-cropped colour version, but I'm going to continue giving the whole thing some more thought. And thank you, again, for the thoughtful suggestion.
I know what you mean, I think - but I also feel like this black and white version brings out the textures even better. I would actually have tried an even tighter crop, but don't bother - I can see now where my idea will stop working, and it's probably before I'd reach the overall impression I was visualising. Thanks a lot for trying!

M.

Here's an 'even tighter' crop (I believe this could be filed under the Latin heading of 'reductio ad absurdum' ;)

View attachment 293597
Nice summary - but I quite like this. However, some of the interesting shapes in the upper part to the right are now disappearing, as predicted, and even part of the curve is beginning to be impacted. That's kind of why I suggested 5:4 - however, this is as far as we should take this :) I really like the original and see a lot of merit in keeping eveything in the original frame (y)

And now I'm really off for my second walk today - light's already fading, I want to get some more shots ...

M.

Back