Show "Light"

Ilford HP5 in HC110
Canon EOS-5

Scan11360.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I really love how clean you've managed to keep this composition. And the tones, man! Reminds me why I miss the old b&w films and never like it when I try b&w with digital.

May I inquire about your process, do you scan the negs or from prints?
Sorry, I didn't see this comment.
I develop the film in HC110 and scan it with all auto-adjusting off to get as flat negative as possible.
I open it on Gimp and add two layers; a white one to adjust highlights and a black one to adjust shadows (it might also be pale white or dark grey - depending on the contrast of the negative). I blend them as overlay. From there on I adjust the opacity of each layer to get the feel I want. In this picture, I added another white layer to adjust the light coming from the street (and chose high opacity). If you ever heard of split-grade printing, this is the digital equivalent.

Sorry, I didn't see this comment.
I develop the film in HC110 and scan it with all auto-adjusting off to get as flat negative as possible.
I open it on Gimp and add two layers; a white one to adjust highlights and a black one to adjust shadows (it might also be pale white or dark grey - depending on the contrast of the negative). I blend them as overlay. From there on I adjust the opacity of each layer to get the feel I want. In this picture, I added another white layer to adjust the light coming from the street (and chose high opacity). If you ever heard of split-grade printing, this is the digital equivalent.
Interesting! I've heard of split-grade, actually, but only quite recently. Steve O'Nions has a video on YouTube on split grade printing in the darkroom that I've watched, and I found that quite interesting too. Funny that I only hear of that technique now and not when I was actively doing darkroom printing. Used to have my own darkroom, but never done split grade.

Back