SHOW Lighthouses

West Quaco.

50207960098_a67d48b224_z.jpg

On a grey windy day it's back to trawling through my archives.

120209-1010076-14mm-RT.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Start Point from Peartree Point

130109-SDIM0023.jpg

Start Point

131110-P1000269.jpg

Smeaton's Tower

The third Eddystone Lighthouse. This was a pioneering construction, the first to be built with the cross section of an oak tree out of interlocking granite blocks. It was dismantled when the rock it stood on threatened to crumble away and was then re-erected on Plymouth Hoe.

Barrie

No pic here, but I was recently watching a documentary on Snake Island off the coast of Brazil. It is covered in Golden Lancehead Vipers, at an estimated number of 9 per square meter. A bite by one is virtually a guarantee of death, due to the venom toxicity and extremely remote location. There's actually a lighthouse there that has to be maintained! Don't know how they do it safely.

There are just three nights in the year when the full moon rises alongside Start Point Lighthouse at the same time that the lighthouse starts to flash which is before it's pitch black, one each in December, January and February as viewed from Peartree Point. This was 19th January 2011. The one in December had been cloudy and in February it was pouring with rain. This one was clear but rather cold.

110119-1010124.jpg

Full moon rising - Start Point

Obviously there was a lens, probably my Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 LTM Super Wide-Heliar.

Barrie

A series from Nieuwpoort, Flanders. This is where the stream Yzer flows into the North Sea.
There's a pier at either side with a light tower on it and a lighthouse on land as well.

p1304163056.jpg

p476022015.jpg

p364455455-6.jpg

p662195364.jpg

p238359536-6.jpg

Back