Animals Show Marine Mammals (Whales, Seals, Otters)

Name
Lyle
Please share your images of marine mammals, including:
  • whales, dolphins, etc. (cetaceans)
  • seals, sea lions, walrus, etc. (pinnipeds)
  • manatees, sea cows (sirenians)
  • otters
  • polar bears
Images from zoos, aquariums,and other captive situations are welcome, but please identify them as such.

PA240156_01A.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Singing

PA240802_01.jpg

Otter Family 4

PA260213_01.jpg

Say "Ahh!"

P3101391_01 small.jpg

The Flying Pickle Rises Again

Last edited:
I'm officially jealous of you for having these wonderful creatures nearby!
Most of the above are from a recent trip to California. The "Flying Pickle" was from Maui just before the pandemic shut everything down. We do have whales, seals, sea lions and otters here in Puget Sound, but I see them less often here than in California. More images of juvenile elephant seals from last October:

PA260204_01A.jpg

Beached

PA260247_01.jpg

Backrubs

PA260135_01.jpg

Choirboys

These images are from the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery near San Simeon (Hearst Castle). The juveniles crowd the beaches in late fall, then the cows start coming in to give birth in December. Finally, the adult bulls show up in January to compete for mating opportunities. I'll share some old pix of that action soon. @guzziknight has a great set of images for the late December period at a different California beach here:

Most of the above are from a recent trip to California. The "Flying Pickle" was from Maui just before the pandemic shut everything down. We do have whales, seals, sea lions and otters here in Puget Sound, but I see them less often here than in California. More images of juvenile elephant seals from last October:

View attachment 288573
Beached

View attachment 288574
Backrubs

View attachment 288575
Choirboys

These images are from the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery near San Simeon (Hearst Castle). The juveniles crowd the beaches in late fall, then the cows start coming in to give birth in December. Finally, the adult bulls show up in January to compete for mating opportunities. I'll share some old pix of that action soon. @guzziknight has a great set of images for the late December period at a different California beach here:

Thanks for the mention! Great shots here.

Back