Show "Memorial Pictures"

Soldiers’ Grave of WWII

CC6A7AC0-DD4A-4CDB-AB3D-D74E9E863CB3.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

46496681621_ef4db12ddc_o.jpg
Saint-Martin-de-Fugères War Memorial - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D2-14 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This war memorial appeared to be the centre-piece and highlight of the commune of Saint-Martin-de-Fugères in the Haute-Loire department in the region of Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes in southern France. I don't recall seeing many war memorials unlike here in Australia where most towns have one.

Day 2 of 12 - Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille to Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

48731675226_706b8773d3_k.jpg

John Forrest Memorial – Swan River Foreshore – Fremantle by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I am not sure what this is meant to represent but the plaque indicates that this memorial was erected by the municipalities of the Fremantle district on August 22, 1947 to commemorate the centenary of John Forest, Baron Forest of Bunbury, GC MG DCL LLD FRGS.

49485867132_c7d676b57e_h.jpg

A mes collaborateurs – Mirandol - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D7-10 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

An interesting memorial at the foot of the Mirandol Viaduct. It reads “To my collaborators” and closes with a call for passers-by to pray for their victims. Something happened here in the 1890s but my research has failed me as to what it was.

Dutch - Cemetery at Bremen - WWII
A place in a park landscape, but walled in.
It is unique in its appearance, as the gravestones were made of light-coloured stone, which gives a decidedly different feeling apart from the gloomy WWII graveyards around
From spring till autumn it is well kept and they have fresh flowers all the time
This graveyard beckons to make you come back throughout the year

pict 086.jpg

pict 057.jpg

pict 095.jpg

pict 098.jpg

pict 105.jpg

(with old Leica Summar 2/50 - uncoated and scratched for that soft look and contrast)

49819633526_0529753c99_h.jpg

Carrefour Guy Cubizolle - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D7-19
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This memorial to a Forrester, Guy Cubizolle, marks the highest point (1,413m) of the GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail as we enter the Cévennes mountains for the first time.

It is not the actual summit, which can be reached by following a GR de pays detour of about 2.4 km to the west. We did not complete the summit as Madame Anne was still walking in pain.

Day 7 of 12 – Chasserades to Le Bleymard: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

49900509213_19588414b8_h.jpg

Henri Rouvière, Professor of Anatomy and Embryology – Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D8_01
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

A memorial to Professor Rouvière who was a native of Le Bleymard and who became well known for his work and publications including his exhaustive study involving the delineation and classification of human lymph nodes and their associated drainage region.

The eponymous "node of Rouvière" (sometimes called "Rouvière node") features his name; this node is the most superior of the lateral group of the retropharyngeal lymph nodes and is found at the base of the skull.

Day 8 of 12 – Le Bleymard to Le Pont de Montvert: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

51159269584_06252e6dac_h.jpg

1789 – 1989 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This is one of three memorials we came across when walking the Minenete Valley. Unfortunately, the letters are not easily distinguishable so cannot determine what is being remembered.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D10-7: Day 10 of 12 – Florac to Gare de Cassagnas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

Aushiker, as it says "Liberty" and 1789-1989, I would assume this is to commemorate the bicentenary of the French Revolution.

YT191204.jpg

Memorial to the fallen of World War 2 from my hometown. 99 died during the war.
Yashica 44

MO200735.jpg

1st US Infantry Division memorial for the GIs killed during the liberation of Mons in WW2

View attachment 258075
1789 – 1989 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This is one of three memorials we came across when walking the Minenete Valley. Unfortunately, the letters are not easily distinguishable so cannot determine what is being remembered.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D10-7: Day 10 of 12 – Florac to Gare de Cassagnas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.
the French revolution of 1789 most likely.
Liberté (spelled out by the letters), Égalité, Fraternité
Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood

Aushiker, as it says "Liberty" and 1789-1989, I would assume this is to commemorate the bicentenary of the French Revolution.

View attachment 258088
Memorial to the fallen of World War 2 from my hometown. 99 died during the war.
Yashica 44

View attachment 258089
1st US Infantry Division memorial for the GIs killed during the liberation of Mons in WW2
Oops. I just now saw you already answered that.
Oh well, a confirmation is not bad :)

Concerning your post about the memorial for "My collaborators", it appears it was put there to remember the casualties of an accident during the construction of the Mirandol railway viaduct.

HH161112.jpg

Small memorial for the soldiers of the Black Watch who fell during the attack on a nearby bridge in November 1944.

Not very far away is this small memorial for another fallen soldier and a young boy who was killed near this spot.
HH161110.jpg

T
Concerning your post about the memorial for "My collaborators", it appears it was put there to remember the casualties of an accident during the construction of the Mirandol railway viaduct.

View attachment 258643

Small memorial for the soldiers of the Black Watch who fell during the attack on a nearby bridge in November 1944.

Not very far away is this small memorial for another fallen soldier and a young boy who was killed near this spot.
View attachment 258644
Thank you, Rick. Always appreciate getting more of the backstory.

Back