Show Modern Architecture

Dan, thanks so much for posting this one over here. I like this view - it shows the immensity of these buildings and how small and insignificant one must feel when standing before them.

Not sure how if to crop these two, given the angle and the windows that will be cut off, but this is the Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood Blvd, at night. Also great at about 0400 hours, when then turn off those flood lights, but I discovered on would need a big ladder to shoot fully w/out having to frame-out the numerous palm trees (and a parking structure) all around the bottom of the shot. Grrrrrr......

View attachment 31336

View attachment 31337

Vancouver's football stadium is being re-fitted with a retractable roof. Previously it had a teflon air supported roof like the one in Minnesota that collapsed this weekend under the weight of the snow. Construction will take another year to complete.

20101213-DSC02948-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks to you both for these. T3, that hotel does a good job of pretending to be old fashioned, at least in that light. I like both your views very much. In the second, you could try a slight burning in or crop up slightly and see what you think - if you like it better or not. Would you mind editing your post to add in which camera you're using? Is it the LX5? Sorry, my brain is overloaded and I can't remember who is using what all the time. The sense of place is strong in both and the color and light is quite beautiful.

Kevin, that structure is very cool. I keep thinking it's some sort of apparatus involved with brain surgery, if you see what I mean. The light you saw and captured in this view is really nice - love the glow down in front.

Scandinavian Architecture

Oslo Opera House
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Copenhagen New National Theater across from Opera House
original.jpg

Copenhagen Opera House
original.jpg

The Scoop on the South bank on the Thames, it's an odd shape, hard to photograph level!
6033477364_1e947eb6e5_b.jpg

And from the other side of the river. The incomplete building on the right is The Shard, when complete (It may already be) it'll be Britain's tallest building. Not without controversy, it dominates the view of St Paul's Cathedral from certain angles.
6033477376_c4b186af5a_b.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures posted here. You know i'm not a fan of modern architecture at all... How about you?

Herman, I'm not sure if you're serious or not? For me it's not whether it's modern or ancient - it's strictly a gut reaction as to what I see.

That said, I think your lead off photograph is one of your best! :drinks:

I'm enjoying everyone's additions very much. serhan, love your third but also am so glad that you included other views because context is great, when one can get it. And that last one makes me feel as though I am standing before a place of worship...which, perhaps, I am.

P.H. - thanks for these two. What are these two buildings, for the uninitiated? The lighting up top within The Scoop is intriguing, while I do like the looks of the view from across the river at night, I am sure there's controversy if it inflicts itself upon St. Paul's.

Two of Seattle's strangest and most interesting structures:

The Public Library:

View attachment 40036

View attachment 40037

I'm not sure if this interior shot qualifies as architecture, but its as wild as the rest of the place...
View attachment 40038

And the Experience Music Museum, funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen - this sits right beneath the Space Needle and the mono-rail (the other great icon from the 1962 World's Fair) runs right through the structure of this place.

View attachment 40039

View attachment 40040

6034093212_256f7b31a5_b.jpg

The part nobody wants you to see, but its still pretty cool, even if its where they leave the trash...
View attachment 40042

-Ray

Ray, these are so cool! Seattle is so cool and it's not even raining!:D Earlier in another thread you said it might feel like Mars...well it surely doesn't feel like we're in Mulberry anymore. Very interesting and I like your style of pping, as well.

P.H. - thanks for these two. What are these two buildings, for the uninitiated? The lighting up top within The Scoop is intriguing, while I do like the looks of the view from across the river at night, I am sure there's controversy if it inflicts itself upon St. Paul's.
Hi BBW, sorry for not replying sooner I've been away.
The Scoop is a two part thing, the building and a sunken amphitheater (Which I couldn't get a satisfactory shot of) The idea bing that the above ground building looks like it's been scooped out of the amphitheater hole. The building part is actually City Hall, home of the London Assembly and the Mayor. I'm hoping to get a look at the inside in a couple of months, it's supposed to be as impressive as the outside, hopefully I'll be allowed to take photos.
The Shard is as far as I understand, commercial space to rent. Offices, banks (How come they still have the money?) and I think a hotel and restaurant.

reflectreflect.jpg

This building and the one next to it are a great source of reflected stuff, be it the palms, or in the morning the sunrise, and in the afternoon, the sunset. There are two identical and in this, if yuou squint, you can see the reflection of the other, reflecting the first... sorta. anyway, I like the buildings, must be great to work there, right on the harbour...

This is cropped from a much larger shot.
X100

Back