Show Modern Architecture

Chicago-35_zps1e0cfe48.jpg

Parking in Marina City still looks daunting...

Maggies Centre Swansea – Kisho Kurokawa

Completed from a sketch by Kurokawa who died before he completed the design

View attachment 72607

This is the closest I could get to take a photo without climbing over the fence
I’ve been meaning to take photos before but never got around to it – quite honestly I don’t find the design that inspiring or sympathetic especially when compared to other Maggie centres in the UK.
Originally Frank Gehry was announced as the architect but the reason for the change was never explained.

Full write up here

Maggie’s South West Wales by Kisho Kurokawa and Garbers & James - Dezeen

Pompidou Centre

tumblr_mtwzkyhLw71r7lcdyo1_1280.jpg

I was in London a couple of weeks ago and visited the Richard Rodgers retrospective at the Royal Academy so it seemed appropriate when I was in Paris last week to take a (strongly corrected) shot of the Pompidou Centre.

In the center of Birmingham is a building that looks as fantastical to me as a Cathedral would have looked in the 15th century. It's a place of retail rather than religion, though I'm not sure everyone can tell the difference. It's even more appealing to me as it faces the Gothic St Martins Church.

The Blob, I love it;

View attachment 5628

View attachment 5629

View attachment 5630
#2 looks like Bender from Futurama :)...great pics

36153821464_ba3c20ffb6_b.jpg

WAC #2 The Fremantle Lodge by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking [1].

This building is the home of Freemasonry in Fremantle, a masonic lodge formed out of the amalgamation The Applecross-Fremantle Lodge No 2 and Lodge Invicta Parmelia with Thistle No 180 in August 2010.

In respect to the building, its construction commenced in 1957. A little history of Freemasonry in Fremantle leading to the current location of the lodge is published by Heritage Western Australia [2].

"The original Masonic Hall was located at the corner of Mouat Street and Marine Terrace, and opened in 1877. This continued to be the lodge of the Fremantle Masons until 1958, when a new Masonic Hall was opened for Fremantle Lodge no.1033. Initially identified as being in Amherst Street, the place was constructed as a substantial two-storey brick building, including two lodge rooms (60x40ft at ground floor, and 53x40 ft at first floor) and two ‘festive board halls’, each equipped with kitchens. A newspaper article announcing that the place has begun to be used, dated 5 June 1958, notes that only the smaller lodge room and its associated hall below had been fully completed at that time. The original Masonic Hall was purchased by the Navy Club at this time."

[1] WAC #2 The Fremantle Lodge, Fremantle, WA, Australia - Masonic Temples on Waymarking.com

[2] Reference:
Heritage Council (n.d.). Fremantle Masonic Hall, Chalmers Street. Retrieved from inHerit - State Heritage Office

Back