Sports Show Motorsports

Nice pictures here and on Flickr too, Nick. I see these are with your new acquisition (?) Canon EOS-1D X - how are you finding it?

Hi kae1, the Canon 1Dx is on another level, I am still getting used to it and need to twiddle a few more setting to get it right.

The first and second image I am really chuffed with been trying for so long to get images like those and they are hardly cropped.

It is a weighty beast :LOL: but I knew that however a little lighter than the 1D I already have. But on the whole I am really likeing it.

Touring Cars next weekend and in two minds about going, if I do, then it will be on the Saturday, practise.

Hi Everyone - having joined you all here today from Mu43 I thought I’d better populate the thread I’m most likely to post upon as Motorsports is my ‘thing’
Here are a few random shots I’ve captured over the past few years with various M43 equipment
PS hi @kae1 :th_salute:
3F2EF693-F734-4486-973C-5D4F7C23E7D7.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
0C3D48AC-3B4B-41DA-B5F2-72AC83820F4B.jpeg
EEF5A669-5819-49CD-BB6C-FE69EC41DC1B.jpeg
4223518B-EDD3-428C-A6EB-717CB1235BBA.jpeg
723871D9-85EA-419A-B62F-946A8BC515FB.jpeg
887D0694-0901-4C0E-BA32-20FFAD5A2A33.jpeg
8E7C898B-9A1B-4E6F-955B-C00282AE2CBC.jpeg
06C34389-D7FF-4E6D-8632-40A0CC8D1FD4.jpeg
986AF0FD-9608-4071-B161-629545BDF500.jpeg
58132F24-75F0-4BE3-ADF3-1D8A3DF63373.jpeg
02FFE7A9-978E-4350-8AEC-B5EE6EEE6606.jpeg
9AE4BDDA-E4F9-42A9-B6DB-473E41E006D3.jpeg

Another trip down memory lane at Harewood hill climb. The last time I'd seen vintage cars run here was in the 1970's and I'd forgotten how special they were. The majority weren't demonstration runs and the 1929 Bentley (#68 shown below) was later rolled :eek: by the lady driver who (thankfully?) "only" ended up in hospital.
P1596536.JPG
P1606954bw.jpg
P1596665.JPG
P1607042bw.jpg
P1596805.JPG
P1607227bw.jpg

Hi Everyone - having joined you all here today from Mu43 I thought I’d better populate the thread I’m most likely to post upon as Motorsports is my ‘thing’
Here are a few random shots I’ve captured over the past few years with various M43 equipment
PS hi @kae1 :th_salute:
View attachment 315503View attachment 315504View attachment 315505View attachment 315506View attachment 315507View attachment 315508View attachment 315509View attachment 315510View attachment 315511View attachment 315512View attachment 315513View attachment 315514
Bravo, take a bow. Awesome set

Oulton Park this time BTCC Touring Cars plus support from Ginetta, Porsche and Formula F4. I went on the Saturday which was the Practice Day, plenty of action, which I seem to miss all of it, because, wrong place wrong time. Not doing it next year. It was great to see so many people turn up and it would have been even busier on Sunday, Race Day.
Some images C&C welcome as usual however was not feeling the love for it so anyway here we go.

52146712045_eacde1115f_h.jpg
BA8K9563 by K 91, 1/15th, not bad.

52146224326_d8120c169b_h.jpg
DF9G0239 by K 91

52146712810_1673f3a1ce_h.jpg
DF9G0190 by K 91

Oulton Park this time BTCC Touring Cars plus support from Ginetta, Porsche and Formula F4. I went on the Saturday which was the Practice Day, plenty of action, which I seem to miss all of it, because, wrong place wrong time. Not doing it next year. It was great to see so many people turn up and it would have been even busier on Sunday, Race Day.
I get to attend 3 or 4 BTCC meetings a year & for me I'm always in the wrong place for the action. - I have to be in the pit lane for the end of nearly every session & spend at least half the next session dealing with the samples received which doesn't leave much time for photography! At least I can get a chance to head out on the grid again, we didn't get any of that for the rushed 2020 season (Where I had to stay in the garage all day due to covid).

Some images C&C welcome as usual however was not feeling the love for it so anyway here we go.
Disappointed to hear you weren't feeling it Nick. The practice day's are usually my favourite photographing day for major events as the cars tend not to be too bunched. I think your images here and on Flickr don't give the impression you weren't feeling it and 1/15th - wow :cool:. I see you're using your new Canon camera too(y).
What works for me (when I'm not feeling it) is to set myself a new challenge - perhaps Oulton is too familiar for you and you need the challenge of another circuit then you can come back with fresh eyes?

I get to attend 3 or 4 BTCC meetings a year & for me I'm always in the wrong place for the action. - I have to be in the pit lane for the end of nearly every session & spend at least half the next session dealing with the samples received which doesn't leave much time for photography! At least I can get a chance to head out on the grid again, we didn't get any of that for the rushed 2020 season (Where I had to stay in the garage all day due to covid).
Samples? I guess from your User name your checking for stuff in the fuel tank?
Additives or illegal performance boosts?

Disappointed to hear you weren't feeling it Nick. The practice day's are usually my favourite photographing day for major events as the cars tend not to be too bunched. I think your images here and on Flickr don't give the impression you weren't feeling it and 1/15th - wow :cool:. I see you're using your new Canon camera too(y).
What works for me (when I'm not feeling it) is to set myself a new challenge - perhaps Oulton is too familiar for you and you need the challenge of another circuit then you can come back with fresh eyes?

Hi kae1, thanks for your kind words.
You could be right on being at Oulton to many times, will have to look around for something new and have my eye on a couple of things. Also will be out at the Anglesey circuit later in the year and really want to go to the Top Fuel event at Santa Pod.
The thing is that BTCC is not my favorite event, only reason I went is that it has been a dogs age since I went to one and only because I have a season pass.
And your right I should make some "plan" on what to do when I go, in this case should have concentrated on the F4s, Porsches and Ginetta Seniors instead of being half arsed about it :rolleyes:
Did find a new place to shoot from, down at the first corner of Knickerbrook but that is tricky because of the fencing and wires, that are just at the right hight in the middle field of view :LOL: but will try again.
I am liking the Canon 1Dx have been fettling in the menu system and the images on flickr are virtually SOOC and yes it is a brick :LOL:.

Samples? I guess from your User name your checking for stuff in the fuel tank?
Additives or illegal performance boosts?
That's right.
We supply the fuel & then check the fuel used is as we supply it, with no alterations allowed.
The BTCC & most of the support races are on a new fuel this year with 20% renewable content, still blended to give the maximum octane allowed by the Motor Sports Association's rulebook 'appendix J'.

@robstar1963
Hi Rob, your Speedway images, are these taken in a stadium under flood lights?
Or during the day?
Do you find the shorter zooms work well or are the images you show been cropped?

Thinking of going to the Speedway in Belle Vue, but all their meetings are in the evening and will be flood lit.
Auto WB should cope, but will look in the manual to see what's available. Really don't wan to shoot RAW.

@robstar1963
Hi Rob, your Speedway images, are these taken in a stadium under flood lights?
Or during the day?
Do you find the shorter zooms work well or are the images you show been cropped?

Thinking of going to the Speedway in Belle Vue, but all their meetings are in the evening and will be flood lit.
Auto WB should cope, but will look in the manual to see what's available. Really don't wan to shoot RAW.
Hi @Knikki
Yes they are taken at a speedway stadium
These latest ones are from practice sessions prior to the imminent season starting next week
I am lucky as I am an (unpaid) official photographer and as such I have privileged access to the infield and other restricted areas
As such I am able to get within 5 metres of the passing riders
The evening events start at about 6.30 and go on until about 9.30pm
during the summer months ending in September
They start off under sunlight but the light starts to drop as the events go on and they end up under floodlights
My previous generation M43 cameras were never good enough in low light to shoot later in the evening - I havent stayed that long yet with the OM-1 but I’m hoping that it will be better at high ISOs
I should find out on 23/06/23 when the first event goes ahead for which I will stay to the end
Like you I only shoot JPEGs although I’m going to start shooting RAWS on the second card in case I get a shot I’m really pleased with but needs some work
I currently also have a Sony A7R3 and 24-105 f4.0 but I’m hoping the OM-1 will work OK

Back